Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I any rights?

Options
  • 06-12-2008 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi just wondering have I any rights, Im currently working fulltime in a place but have been told im to be made redundant shortly. There is another person working with me who works 4 days a week, we both work in the same department.

That person has been informed they are now working 5 days to cover me being left go. That person is there 8 years and Im there 5 years.

Can anyone tell me have I any rights with this,is it ok for this persons hours to be increased and mine to be cut altogether.

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

You may have grounds for complaining of unfair selection for redundancy. It does not like like you have though. It was either you or the person who is there eight years. If they say it was a last in first out you are goosed. If they hire some one else after you go and the redundancy was a sham to get rid of you, you may have a case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

"Redundancy is where an employee’s position ceases to exist and the employee is not replaced"
    It would seem that with the other worker taking on extra hours you are being replaced. You might want to contact NERA so see what your position is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭ALFIET

If they can show that they dont require two people to do the same job and the other person is not selected for redundo due to longer service, greater skill set etc etc etc etc

they have two people working 9 days between them each week but they actually only need 5 days work.

That means that they only really need you 1 day a week so to be this shows a geniune redundo exists

but sure look anything is arguable - by all means talk to nera and get the legal side of things but understand that they dont give advice just information and all laws are open to interpretation based on case law too.

Advertisement