Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ilford XP2 vs Kodak 400BW CN

Options
  • 06-12-2008 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Probably a can o' worms or something like the cannon vs nikon debate BUT I like to shoot Ilford XP2 film, I cannot find it anywhere so was going to order 10 rolls of it from 7dayshop [unless someone can point me to a place that doesn't charge £7 for Irish P&P] which is about €4 a roll overall.
    However I noticed that there is a kodak alternative... CN400... iso 400 and C41 chemistry ( I can develop my own negs but no scanner or printing facilities!) So I'm wondering should I maybe try out two rolls of it and 8 of xp2 just to test it.

But my real question is : which is better and what do YOU LOT recommend? :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I'd say the two c-41 films are probably pretty similar if not identical (there's a fuji c-41 b&w aswell ). I wouldn't ordinarily shoot them, but i've had some nice results from xp2 so i wouldn't dismiss them out of hand either. OTOH its hard to beat a roll of tri-x :-)

I'd say get a couple of rolls of all three brands and shoot them, i'll bet there's little difference between them. Now if you were to ask about the differences between actual silver b&w's ... That'd be a whole different can of worms you'd be gainfully applying a can-opener to :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

Well I've used Ilford B&W films before and XP2 I like XP2 a lot. The Kodak stuff is cheaper however. I think I will have to get some to experiment. I didn't realise fuji did a C-41 B&W either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I like Tri-X myself tbh. :o

Go for two rolls of each and see what you think. C-41 B&W's are quite similar, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Oh, http://www.freestylephoto.biz/index.html is a handy site for film if you've got a mate or two that'll share postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Both excellent films and the C41 makes them a doddle to get processed, just bulk buy and keep them in the fridge..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I've gotten 9 rolls of xp2 2 of CN400 and a kodachrome with processing from ww.photoglossy.com :-)

When I finish the current roll of xp2 I will try some cn400. I wonder if they are the same or if the kodak is better on people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I quite like Neopan myself

Advertisement