Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarantulas!

Options
  • 06-12-2008 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Dunno if anyone on here owns any spiders, but I decided I might as well give this a try. I have a sub adult Chilean rose but am looking to get some spiderlings to raise, namely:

B. Smithi (Mexican red knee),
    G. Aureostriata (Chaco golden knee),
    E. Campestratus (Pink zebra beauty),
    B. Albopilosa (Honduran curly hair).

Just a few of the more docile and hardy types really.

I may just end up ordering them from England but I'd rather not go to that trouble. So I was just wondering if anyone knows of any breeders in Ireland or whether any of the pet stores in Dublin have spiderlings?

If anyone can help that would be great! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

RaeRae wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Dunno if anyone on here owns any spiders, but I decided I might as well give this a try. I have a sub adult Chilean rose but am looking to get some spiderlings to raise, namely:

B. Smithi (Mexican red knee),
    G. Aureostriata (Chaco golden knee),
    E. Campestratus (Pink zebra beauty),
    B. Albopilosa (Honduran curly hair).

Just a few of the more docile and hardy types really.

I may just end up ordering them from England but I'd rather not go to that trouble. So I was just wondering if anyone knows of any breeders in Ireland or whether any of the pet stores in Dublin have spiderlings?

If anyone can help that would be great! :)
    Hi there.

I have 40 odd T's, most came from the UK. I knont know too much about the golden knee but I have had the other 3. All were relatively docile, especially the smithii and the alpob. Any of the Brachipelma familly would do what you are looking for. You dont tend to find many slings for sale in the shops here and when you do they tend to be on the pricey. Unfortunately it is not a good time of year to be posting spids. You run the risk of losing them due to the cold weather and most reputable dealers / breeders wont send at this time of year. You are better off waiting till the spring. Personally I wouldnt risk it in this cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RaeRae

Yeah, I ordered three slings from http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/ and the guy emailed me saying that he'd be happier watching the weather and waiting until it goes up even just a few degrees. So I agreed and he'll let me know when they're to be sent. Wouldn't want any DOAs.

I quickly gave up on the idea of even looking for slings here as prices for Ts seem to be far higher here in general. So I'll see how these ones from England go. Ts are far too difficult to acquire here as far as I can see!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gversey

Hi the pet shop in dun loaghaire have nice slings for sale..

gversey wrote: »
    Hi the pet shop in dun loaghaire have nice slings for sale..

Which pet shop is that? Like where abouts in Dun Laoghaire or do you know the name? Only one I've ever been to in/near Dun Laoghaire is Fish Antics and that was years ago!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cbond

Are they active or just sit around all day ?

• Advertisement

cbond wrote: »
    Are they active or just sit around all day ?

Depends on what kind you have. A lot of the more docile kinds such as ones in the Brachy sp. are fairly inactive.

My girl, a Chilean Rose, is fairly inactive. She just plods around her tank every so often. Munches on a cricket or two. She does like her little flower pot hide though, it's right by the heat mat and probably the warmest spot (My room is freakin freezing.)

So yeah, I know my friend has a few of the arboreal (Tree climbing) ones and she says hers are pretty active. Depends. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gversey

Fintastics on St Patricks Street,same guy who owned Fish antics i think,,he is based inside at the back of the pet shop..http://www.fintasticaquatics.ie/news.asp?nid=9

Advertisement