Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home studio lighting on a tight budget

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭al_

Hey Quackles,
    In my humble opinion, youd be better off avoiding a kit like this completely. Its non adjustable so basically you are stuck with 2 bright lights with soft boxes on them, you could make this type of setup at home with some cloth and some light stands.
    Using it would teach you nothing about lighting and give you almost no control over the final image.
    Hope this helps,
    Al
    Edited to say, I think this would be a better budget option. Again its not ideal, but it would give you some more control over the final images.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/2-Flash-Head-45w-Professional-Studio-Lighting-Kit-SV1_W0QQitemZ260318395066QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Photography_StudioEquipment_RL?hash=item260318395066&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

al_ wrote: »
    Hey Quackles,
    In my humble opinion, youd be better off avoiding a kit like this completely. Its non adjustable so basically you are stuck with 2 bright lights with soft boxes on them, you could make this type of setup at home with some cloth and some light stands.
    Using it would teach you nothing about lighting and give you almost no control over the final image.
    Hope this helps,
    Al
    Edited to say, I think this would be a better budget option. Again its not ideal, but it would give you some more control over the final images.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/2-Flash-Head-45w-Professional-Studio-Lighting-Kit-SV1_W0QQitemZ260318395066QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Photography_StudioEquipment_RL?hash=item260318395066&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Al,

Thanks a million for the advice - I hadn't thought of the lack of adjustability, but now that you mention it, you're 100% correct. The search continues :) Will check out the other link you sent, or might just stay away from lighting until we've more money to spend on it.

Youre Welcome Quackles,
    You mention that you both have speedlights, if you had a clear background you can do a lot with a pair of speedlights set up on cheapo tripods. Especially when you can remote trigger them.
    If you have diffusers for both, youre sorted!
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

you would be better buying softboxes that your speedlites will go in, those lights wouldnt even be as bright as your speedlights

i have shot loads of kids portraits with just two speedlights and 2 brolleys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Thanks folks, I think I'll get accessories like stands and umbrella clamps (have one silver and one white umbrella) instead and use the tools we already have. Now, if only the model would show up :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

Hi Lads, Where can you buy specific stands for umbellras and flashes ?
    I am aware you can use tripods, but i assume you can buy a specific stand, that will mount a flash and umbrella and would really appreciate, if you could tell me where you could buy such a stand ?

Hey Whiz,
    You can get these in Calumet, pretty cheaply too.
    Just pick up a stand and a simple umbrella adaptor.
    Good luck with it,
    Al

Thanks. I have question regarding metering in this kind of setup. If you put the flashes on the stands and a speedlight transmitter on your camera, can you use the meter on your camera ? instead of buying separate meter to meter the subject ?

Youd be much better off with a manual off-camera meter, on-camera metering doesnt tend to work too well when most of the subject is consistently bright or dark.
    You can of course work the metering by taking a few test shots and adjusting as per your histogram, but it would be a lot easier and more efficient with a flash meter.
    Good luck with it,
    Al

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i gor off camers flashes for 25 each, get them, 2 umbrellas, flash stands and a reflector and your flying, maybe a backdrop too

• Advertisement

Thanks Al for your reponse. Melekalikimaka do use a flash meter to meter your subject or something else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Don't mean to hijack the thread OP, but were the flashes and remote triggers you got on Deal Extreme any good? Been looking at some of their stuff, it's v cheap. Never used external flash before so it's all a bit confusing and I can't help with your question, sorry!

Advertisement