Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes C250 CDI Blue Efficency

Options
  • 06-12-2008 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Does anyone know when the above car is going on sale in Ireland. I was considering buying the new 220 CDI, but reading about the 250D Blue Efficency it is likely to have lower emissions, lower tax and better performance, therefore it could likely adversely affect the resale value of the 220D in years to come.
    Grateful to hear any intelligance anyone has on this and when it is likely to reach Ireland. The car is already on sale in Germany in France

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

I think they are onsale in January, no? Stunning engine. Huge power, performance and economy. I would certainly wait for one if i was you. Its so far ahead of the 220 cdi it will have to affect its resale values.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

uk isn't getting them until next Summer so doubt we would get it in Jan? Apparently auto
    won't be ready until then anyway and you would be nuts to buy a merc without auto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 The exile

I had a feeling that the car could be a long way off, as I'm looking for a car sooner rather than later I think I will go with the BMW 320d. Now shall I go auto or manual....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm only going on 22, but I wouldn't buy a manual BMW, Audi, Lexus or Merc. I imagine it would affect resale more on the Merc, but that's part of the point of buying a premium brand, if manual production was restricted, people would just change to auto rather than another brand, I don't understand why they don't.

There's a dealer in Limerick with 5 mid-late 90s C-Class models on his yard for over 12 months. Reason - not one is auto!

If getting the beemer, get a 325d as opposed to a 320d, for the road tax in the auto band (€290).
    325d M-Sport is €60k though as opposed to €55k for the SE

The C200 CDI Blue Efficiency has co2 of 133g/km (€156 tax) but is in manual only for now, the C200 CDI regular is 149g/km (€301 tax) in manual or 171g/km in auto vs 173g/km in the C220 CDI (both €630 tax) or 193g/km (€1050 tax) in the 320 CDI.

An A4 is probably worth looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Given the depreciation levels out there at the min, you'd be mad to buy a new car.....

• Advertisement

cancan wrote: »
    Given the depreciation levels out there at the min, you'd be mad to buy a new car.....

If nobody bought new cars, there'd be no second hand cars to buy!

Why not buy second hand and give the remander to charity.
    You'll feel a hell of a lot better than a merc diesel will ever make you feel.

I just hate seeing people throw that much money away. Madness.

VRT will be cut in time - the gov will have no choice. It has artificially inflated new car prices well beyond what they are worth.

Because the car he wants is not yet available new, let alone second hand. If he wants to spend money on a NEW car, and can AFFORD to buy a new car, then who are we to stop him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

about time they brought out a lean diesel *138 CO2.. bmw have an 18 month jump on them .. their 3/5 series (gets 136 Co2)

ninty9er wrote: »
    Because the car he wants is not yet available new, let alone second hand. If he wants to spend money on a NEW car, and can AFFORD to buy a new car, then who are we to stop him?

He's a true patriot alright!
    A few more of them and FF should have enough money to reinstate the cervical cancer vaccination

• Advertisement

J H Christ, the guy wants a new car!! Not everyone is affected by the big bad recession. Fair play to him.

Begrudgery is alive and well on Boards anyway:rolleyes:

No one is begrudging him.

Financially, it's madness to buy a new car these days.
    Spend it on a nice holiday.

It doesn't matter if you have the money or not.
    I hate seeing anyone take a hit that big in their finances.

No one is begrudging him.

Considering he'd be paying 10% less VRT, benefitting from a price slaughtering at Merc and buying in a market where dealers are between a rock and a hard place. If he was buying cash, he could get a €45k C Class for close to if not below €40k.

Now is the perfect time to be buyin new if you can afford to, also second hand, but a bad bad bad time to be selling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Maybe hold out for the new E-Class.

Bit dull maybe...

15153763ig5.jpg

61610259hp5.jpg

Hard to believe that rear end was designed in this millennium.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,825 ✭✭✭✭unkel

He's a true patriot alright!
    A few more of them and FF should have enough money to reinstate the cervical cancer vaccination

This is not the politics forum. Let's stay on topic please...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Ice_Box wrote: »

Bit dull maybe...

15153763ig5.jpg

61610259hp5.jpg

Way nicer than a 5 series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

samsemtex wrote: »
    I think they are onsale in January, no? Stunning engine. Huge power, performance and economy. I would certainly wait for one if i was you. Its so far ahead of the 220 cdi it will have to affect its resale values.

The new engine is being launched as a "BlueEfficiency" model, and BlueEfficiency Mercs are only getting to the UK next month, even though they have been on sale in LHD since March.

The S400 BlueHybrid went on sale last month in the continent, but it won't make it to RHD until 2010.

MDL take forever and a day to bring in new versions of Mercs to Ireland, so even when it does eventually get made in RHD it will take forever before we will actually get it offered here. The E350 CGI has been on sale in the UK since the start of the summer but it still isn't for sale here yet.

So I wouldn't get my hopes up about the C250 CDI coming for another good while.
    copacetic wrote: »
    uk isn't getting them until next Summer so doubt we would get it in Jan? Apparently auto
    won't be ready until then anyway and you would be nuts to buy a merc without auto.

I agree. You just simply cannot buy a manual Merc. Nobody will ever want it when you want to sell it. And the new C250 CDI is manual only for the time being.

Which is part of the reason I don't like Mercs. I don't like automatics.
    The exile wrote: »
    I had a feeling that the car could be a long way off, as I'm looking for a car sooner rather than later I think I will go with the BMW 320d. Now shall I go auto or manual....

320ds are great cars, but a 330d is only €302 to tax even though it's a 3.0 with 245 bhp:eek:! That's the model to go for really, I know it's €55k and everything but that engine sounds amazing, it even revs like a petrol if the press are to be believed.

The 320d's engine is great for a 4 cylinder diesel, but you need to try a 6 cylinder BMW, and then you'll see what a good engine is.
    If getting the beemer, get a 325d as opposed to a 320d, for the road tax in the auto band (€290).
    325d M-Sport is €60k though as opposed to €55k for the SE

The C200 CDI Blue Efficiency has co2 of 133g/km (€156 tax) but is in manual only for now, the C200 CDI regular is 149g/km (€301 tax) in manual or 171g/km in auto vs 173g/km in the C220 CDI (both €630 tax) or 193g/km (€1050 tax) in the 320 CDI.

An A4 is probably worth looking at.

No C200 CDI Blue Efficiency for Ireland in the immediate future, though the UK is getting them shortly, however MDL take forever to bring in new models so early days yet.

With the new VRT rules, and the fact that they had to knock so much of the price of new cars cause of how poor the Mercs are for CO2, they might well start bringing them in sooner than I am predicting, however I wouldn't expect them to get any cheaper, they already reduced the prices massively because of the emissions disadvantage.

As for the BMW, the 325d has only 20 bhp more than the 320d, but it does have 6 cylinders which makes all the difference, though admittedly I've never driven a 6 pot BMW diesel. I have driven 4 and 6 pot petrol BMWs though, and I'm sure the gap is as big with the diesels as it is with the petrols.

However, as I outlined in a response above, I'd be looking at the 330d. All that extra power, a brand new engine and it's even a little better than the 325d on CO2 as well.

Bit dull maybe...

I think it's a more traditional design, more like the Mercs of old, and that really is no bad thing at all. The back and the side of the car are classic Merc designs, so I'm all for that.

The next 5 series will be going back to a more traditional BMW design too, which is even better.

If it is as well built as the Mercs of old then that would be better still.

The new W212 E-class will finally get a brace of direct injection petrols, the E250 CGI, E300 CGI and E350 CGI, all with 6 cylinders thank heavens, and of course the old favourite entry 4 pot E200K.

There will be an E500 unsurprisingly and equally unsurprisingly a selection of diesels including the 3.0 V6 we already know from today's E320 CDI(and E280 CDI, but the next E class won't have an E280 CDI model).

The new 4 pot diesel will be there in the form of the E250 CDI, which replaces today's E280 CDI and there will be a single turbo version of this new 4 pot diesel in 2 states of tune giving us the E200 and E220 CDI rather predictably. I assume that the E200 CDI won't make it to RHD, because the W210 and W211 E200 CDI was never made in RHD.

The single turbo versions have the exact same power outputs as the current 2148 cc diesel, but lots more torque.

E92 wrote: »

No C200 CDI Blue Efficiency for Ireland in the immediate future, though the UK is getting them shortly, however MDL take forever to bring in new models so early days yet.

Not on the price list but its on the Irish tech specs comparator at 133g/km compared to 156g/km for the 180k BlueEFFICIENCY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Oldskool FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Look at the rear end of a maybach then that, not sure I like it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 The exile

Thanks for all the advice guys, the reason I've decided to go with a new car at the moment is that I plan to buy good quality and hold on to for 4-6 years. BY that stage we should be out of the whole we are currently in. Also given the hole that we are currently in, I reckon 09 cars on the road will be few and far between and will certainly down the line hold their value a bit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

E92 wrote: »
    I agree. You just simply cannot buy a manual Merc. Nobody will ever want it when you want to sell it. And the new C250 CDI is manual only for the time being.

320ds are great cars, but a 330d is only €302 to tax even though it's a 3.0 with 245 bhp:eek:! That's the model to go for really, I know it's €55k and everything but that engine sounds amazing, it even revs like a petrol if the press are to be believed.

As for the BMW, the 325d has only 20 bhp more than the 320d, but it does have 6 cylinders which makes all the difference, though admittedly I've never driven a 6 pot BMW diesel. I have driven 4 and 6 pot petrol BMWs though, and I'm sure the gap is as big with the diesels as it is with the petrols.

However, as I outlined in a response above, I'd be looking at the 330d. All that extra power, a brand new engine and it's even a little better than the 325d on CO2 as well.
    I disagree with the first statement. Lots of people are happy to buy manual C-Classes. E class is different, they're better off Auto. The new C-Class is getting excellent reviews. It's something different too, everyone is going for A4, 3-series and IS220.
    On the 4 vs 6 cyl diesels - The 6 cylinder in the diesel doesn't make near as much difference as it does in petrol. You're better off with a 320d over a 325d. The 325 is bearly more refined sounding, feck all more powerful and just more expensive to buy and run and will take a bigger hit on depreciation.
    I hear what you're saying about the 330d alright, but €15k extra is an awful lot of money when you don't have it! :D
    330d's now can be had for similar money to 320d's if you look at 5 or 6 year old ones, meaning that that €15k difference is swallowed up. However it will be a different ball game in 5 years from now, as the 330d won't cost nearly €1200 a year to tax for a 5 year old one unlike today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Biro wrote: »
    I disagree with the first statement. Lots of people are happy to buy manual C-Classes. E class is different, they're better off Auto. The new C-Class is getting excellent reviews. It's something different too, everyone is going for A4, 3-series and IS220.
    On the 4 vs 6 cyl diesels - The 6 cylinder in the diesel doesn't make near as much difference as it does in petrol. You're better off with a 320d over a 325d. The 325 is bearly more refined sounding, feck all more powerful and just more expensive to buy and run and will take a bigger hit on depreciation.
    I hear what you're saying about the 330d alright, but €15k extra is an awful lot of money when you don't have it! :D
    330d's now can be had for similar money to 320d's if you look at 5 or 6 year old ones, meaning that that €15k difference is swallowed up. However it will be a different ball game in 5 years from now, as the 330d won't cost nearly €1200 a year to tax for a 5 year old one unlike today!

Fair enough - tbh I probably wouldn't be going for a 325d myself either.

At that end of the scale it would be the petrol every time.

Btw, the 330d is actually around €10.5k more than a comparable 320d. The 320d SE is €44,620 and the 330d SE is €55,030. The 325d SE is €49,410 while the 325i SE is €50,970.

If I had the money though, then even I would probably be choosing the 330d. If it revs like a petrol and has a 5,400 rpm rev limiter then I'm sure I could put up without 6 cylinder petrol noise(especially as this new diesel engine doesn't clatter either apparently), €302 road tax, 50 mpg average fuel economy and 245 bhp will do nicely thanks:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If nobody bought new cars, there'd be no second hand cars to buy!

Amen, and + 1000 on that.

I just hate seeing people throw that much money away. Madness.

VRT will be cut in time - the gov will have no choice. It has artificially inflated new car prices well beyond what they are worth.

It doesn't matter if you have the money or not.

Weird logic......it's ok to waste (?) the money on a holiday, but not a car? (which'll generate local business and tax revenue, and jobs, btw...)

Nobody buys new cars for cash, they're mostly bought on finance of some sort, so 'giving to charity' is complete nonsense - the cash isn't a suitcase in the first place......

You've had all the VRT decreases you will see in your lifetime, methinks - it's only going one way from here on in.............just you watch...

And as for 'if you have the money or not' - are you for real ? Try as I might, but I don't think I can buy a car without the money.

15153763ig5.jpg

61610259hp5.jpg

Er, no, don't....:eek:

Hard to belive it's not Hyundai Sonata, more like !! Sweet and gentle God, did the they fire the new C-Class designer already, or did they poach BeeEmm's ex-SsangYong/Rexton Actyon designer, then X6 designer, or what......???:confused: Or maybe they settled for the KIA Magenta guy??

Oh, I see they 'robbed' the Lexus exhaust-tip designer too.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement