Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Transport on Christmas Day?

Options
  • 06-12-2008 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

So do buses and the Luas run on Christmas Day?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Trampas

no

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Won't be long before we have the PC parade in this country demanding public transport on Christmas Day.

Jesus Wept ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

There is public transport on Christmas day. Taxis and hackneys operate

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Won't be long before we have the PC parade in this country demanding public transport on Christmas Day.

Jesus Wept ;)
    I'd be happy if we had decent public transport the other 364 days a year but in reality many people do need to get to work on xmas day and at least a skeleton service should operate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Ckal

murphaph wrote: »
    I'd be happy if we had decent public transport the other 364 days a year but in reality many people do need to get to work on xmas day and at least a skeleton service should operate.

Yeah, maybe a Luas and Dart and a bus every hour would be sufficient with the amount of people working Christmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Years back, there was some bus services running in Dublin on Christmas Day but very poor numbers using it saw it to the grave. There will be a few taxi drivers working on the day but it will be very few so be warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

Who actually works on Christmas day? Apart from gardai, I assume anyone else who has to work is on call so a skeleton public transport would be useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

im working christmas day

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

markpb wrote: »
    Who actually works on Christmas day? Apart from gardai, I assume anyone else who has to work is on call so a skeleton public transport would be useless.

Call centre staff - technical helplines especially. When I worked in BT UK there was relatively high call volumes to the tech helpdesk on Christmas as people gave broadband as a christmas present or got new computers/wireless routers needing setup...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭dowlingm

in Toronto Christmas Day is Sunday service (subway and daytime bus routes start 0900). However lots of folks are either non-Christian or of no religion at all or of denominations like Orthodox Christians who don't celebrate on the 25th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Security guards. Lots of security guards. I worked three Christmas Days as an undergraduate to pay for........books. Yes, books. That was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

MYOB wrote: »
    Call centre staff - technical helplines especially. When I worked in BT UK there was relatively high call volumes to the tech helpdesk on Christmas as people gave broadband as a christmas present or got new computers/wireless routers needing setup...

Mobile Phone customer centres have their busiest days on Christmas Day from gift phones and top up cards, so they say. Nurses work Christmas Day, ESB power stations and some utilities, some shops are staffed, broadcasters and some papers; groundsmen of the many sports meetings on St. Stephen's Day, prison officers and care staff as well.

Mind you, many of these people would opt to work this day to some extent and may have private transport or a taxi to and from work as a drop off.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Mind you, many of these people would opt to work this day to some extent and may have private transport or a taxi to and from work as a drop off.

This is very true - I did try to opt to work it (non Christian so have no signficant reason not to) when in BT but it was over-subscribed! 3x a normal days pay may have been the reason why...

But either way there are thousands if not tens of thousands of people still working Christmas Day in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

Heathens the lot of ye :D

Cheers for answering, I never realized so many people worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Ckal

Heathens the lot of ye :D

Cheers for answering, I never realized so many people worked.

I'd rather work Christmas Day, to be honest. We celebrate it, but we're not religious (I'm agnostic). I really just celebrate getting presents. :P

But yeah, if I could work Christmas Day and I didn't have an alternative mode of transport, then an hourly (or whatever) Luas/Dart/Bus would be grand. But there would be the issue of not many people using it at certain times.

But they could do a Green Line Special Offer for Christmas Day ramblers. €1 return to St. Stephen's Green? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭trellheim

Cheers for answering, I never realized so many people worked

amazing that mobile phones and the electric works on Xmas , isn't it ?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Bluetonic wrote: »

Jesus Wept ;)

what possible connection is there between politcal correctness and wanting public transport on christmas day?:confused:

Is there some other meaning for 'PC' that you have all to yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

copacetic wrote: »
    what possible connection is there between politcal correctness and wanting public transport on christmas day?:confused:

I assume he means that all the fundamentalist Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Miscellaneousts etc will believe that they are entitled to public transport on this day as it is not a special day for them. And that in order to be PC the government will 'cave in'.

Coming over here, taking our Santa etc.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

PC the government will 'cave in'.

pc Muther fekers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I assume he means that all the fundamentalist Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Miscellaneousts etc will believe that they are entitled to public transport on this day as it is not a special day for them. And that in order to be PC the government will 'cave in'.

Exactly - nobody else can enjoy themselves on Baby Jesus day. (second link @0m35)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Polar101

To be honest, the only reason I'm not working on the 25th is that there's no public transport - too much hassle to get to work without. So let's just pretend it's silly to think there should be any public transport on the 25th, so we won't offend anyone who thinks it would be PC to ask for any.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,316 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Christmas and New Year Transport 2008-2009

Note that taxis have a special fare on certain days.

Advertisement