Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP pls! need advice what to buy?

Options
  • 05-12-2008 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Ok I need to get a new vehicle that will be capable of towing my horse and horsebox. The mare is a heavy horse, so id say at least 600kg, and the box is a fairly light mare and foal box (im not sure of the weight). Pulling the box would only make up about 5% max of the driving id be doing however, and i do a lot of long distance driving, so I need something that is reliable, nice to drive, and economical too. Lastly i have a 2003 toyota corolla new model to sell, and I dont really want to put much with whatever I get for the car, so 10,000 would be my max. Anyone any advice on what my options are?
    ps incase you havnt already figured by my complete lack of knowledge in all things motoring, im a girl!! so nothing TOO manish :p!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I'd recommend a Short wheel base Pajero or Landcruiser, both are reliable, and you can put tack or feed in the back. For 10K you'll get good value in either make. The toyota has a 3.0 diesel engine and the Pajero (new type) has 2.5 and 3.2 available. I'd recommend the 3.2, if you've got a light foot you'll do well with MPG. Forget about MPG when you put a box on it though.

I'd only suggest the Short wheel base as they are a neater and tidier chassis than the long wheel base.

The long wheel base would be a far better platform for regular towing.

Crewcabs are an other option, of these, the Toyota Hilux would be the best bet. Beware with crewcabs, most are ex builders or ex fleet machines and might be tired machines. it can be easier pick up a commercial jeep IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

have a look at this site as well

http://www.whattowcar.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭bada-bing

MPG????:o
    what make is the pajero? ill have a look at them two on autotrader now. i thought the landcruisers were very dear but i guess i could go for an older model.
    and i cant drive a crew cab - far too manish:rolleyes:!!!

oh no, im an idiot... Miles Per Gallon. yip, makes sense!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Pajero would be Mitsubishi. Have a look on the following sites as well.

www.carzone.ie
    www.cbg.ie

I short wheel base Pajero should do the trick for you anyway, without looking too manish:P

bada - bing,

I'd forget about a large engined car TBH. The tax would be a killer. Commercial tax in a commercial jeep is less than €300 per annum

Also with the 4X4 capability on the jeep plus high ground clearance, towing in a field is a much easier prospect.

• Advertisement

ok im liking the look of the Pajero SWB, its nice and girly for my needs :-)
    I think i might go test drive one and see what I think, thanks a mill for the suggestions

bada-bing wrote: »

PAJEROS ARENT GIRLY!!!!!!:D

And look for the 3.2 diesel one. Its a much better engine than the 2.5 or 2.8, and it'll suit you better for pulling.

Don't forget that if you're looking at pajeros, any Northern or UK ones are called "Shoguns". Its only Pajero in the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I think i might go test drive one and see what I think, thanks a mill for the suggestions

Dammit now I dont want one:(. Back to the range rover I guess, better to look like a retired army officer/fat businessman than a girl:D

oh... maybe they arnt girly:o:o!!
    its just the one that I say wasnt a commercial and had baby seats and teddies in the back!!! so thats what pursuaded me:P

oh... maybe they arnt girly:o:o!!
    its just the one that I say wasnt a commercial and had baby seats and teddies in the back!!! so thats what pursuaded me:P

Don't forget than passenger jeeps are a b1tch to tax!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Ferris

Ok I need to get a new vehicle that will be capable of towing my horse and horsebox. The mare is a heavy horse, so id say at least 600kg, and the box is a fairly light mare and foal box (im not sure of the weight). Pulling the box would only make up about 5% max of the driving id be doing however, and i do a lot of long distance driving, so I need something that is reliable, nice to drive, and economical too. Lastly i have a 2003 toyota corolla new model to sell, and I dont really want to put much with whatever I get for the car, so 10,000 would be my max. Anyone any advice on what my options are?
    ps incase you havnt already figured by my complete lack of knowledge in all things motoring, im a girl!! so nothing TOO manish :p!

I friend of mine (who is a girl) has the same requiremant as you and she uses a Nissan Patrol GR and is very happy with it. Its a commercial however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Ferris wrote: »
    I friend of mine (who is a girl) has the same requiremant as you and she uses a Nissan Patrol GR and is very happy with it. Its a commercial however.

Patrol is alot bigger with a smaller engine, thats better for towing but I'd say more than a little aqward for day to day running. I also wouldnt reccomend a Nissan.

i took what you said on board jonty about the tax being so much cheaper for a commercial so i started looking into the options insurance wise.. and following a very frustrating call with a quinn direct agent im left a little confused:o!
    i just wanted to know whether there would be much of a difference between insuring a 2 - 2.5 or going for the 3.2. But she couldnt tel me any of that unless i had an "actual" vehicle to insure. So I asked about a landcuiser, and was told it would be approx 1280 for my insurance if it was commercial as she said id have to start a completely new policy as though i was a new customer, wheras she quoted me 177e on top of my current policy if i went for a non-commercial (and my fully comp insurance at the min is 517e.
    Then i asked about the Pajero and she said for a commercial it would be the same, but they wont insure a non-commercial Pajero... how odd!!
    Does any one know what the reason for this could be??
    so ill have to do some more research before i decide which would be better in the long run, the commercial with cheaper tax but much deared insurance or a passenger option, vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

have to say i love my kia sorento, pretty cheap if you buy from the UK then convert to commercial, my 2004 cost me 8.5k converted, regged and DOE'd, nice car to drive and they have an un-braked towing capacity of 750kg, braked 2.5 tonne,

Advertisement