Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R4 for DS refuses to work

Options
  • 05-12-2008 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

I have an R4 card for the DS but it just will not work. I downloaded the latest software for it and put it in the root directory of the Micro SD card. When I turn on the DS it just has a black screen and says Loading. That's it.

What could I be missing?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

what size is your memory card?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

It is a 2GB Micro SD

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

They tend not to have the best build quality by the way.

Could just be a jammy R4 card. Try the SD card in another R4 if you know anyone who has one, then you'll know if your R4 is at fault.

Thanks for the reply.

It worked on another DS today. It could me my DS I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

are you 100% sure you have the correct firmware? There are a lot of clone R4's and a lot a clone firmwares. Only download from r4ds.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Check the firmware and update to the most recent, it was released in April I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Was it your R4 cart with the micro sd card worked in another DS?

or just the micro sd card in another R4 using another DS?

Oh dear, I think that might be confusing.................

OK, when you tested on another DS did you use your own R4 and memory card??

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It is a 2GB Micro SD
    SD or SDHC?

The R4 cannot take SDHCs, I think some newer fake version can.

I have a 8GB in a DSTT and it is very fast.

EDIT: I now see it worked in another DS, I would try cleaning all the contacts on the card and your DS.

It was my MicoSD card in another persons R4 card and their DS. So I suppose the R4 card could be broken.

The software I downloaded was from the r4ds.com site and was updated in April.

The newer R4's are not R4's at all, at least not made by the original crowd. Can you put a link here to the actual item that you bought? it might help figure this out :) Also, the "clone" R4's take SDHC cards only. Different firmware might be needed..............also the micro sd cards must be formatted as phat not ntfs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,552 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I believe that pretty much every card coming from Dealextreme.com are fakes, a lot are very twitchy, buy with caution.
    I had one and 90% of the time the thing froze on the intial Ninty health warning.

Far as I can see Dealextreme aren't selling the R4's. They are selling stuff like R4 III, R4 pro evolution & R4 deluxe. I suppose anyone in the know would know that the original R4's are no longer in production. Newbies would get caught out though. I have a few of the original R4's and never had a minutes problem with any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It was my MicoSD card in another persons R4 card and their DS. So I suppose the R4 card could be broken.
    DS or SDHC, your mates might take SDHC and yours might not. Lad on dealextreme had to clean glue off contacts on the cart, which connect the memory card to cart.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I believe that pretty much every card coming from Dealextreme.com are fakes,
    I got a chinese made 8GB kingston class 4 from DX and it was verified genuine on the kingston site. However I since have got japanese made 8GB kingston class 4 (same spec) from mymemory.com and it is much faster on the same DSTT cartridges in the same unit.

You can get 2x8GB cards for £21 incl delivery on mymemory.

Advertisement