Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baileys Original 70cl @ 14.65 in Dunnes

Options
  • 05-12-2008 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

Thought i'd post this as seen today in Dunnes Blanch. Its a £10 a bottle up north so about £2.50 more expensive here but buyable at less then 20% markup if you do not want to trek up north instead of the the usual 60%+ markup!

All the whiskey and vodka is going cheaper too, i forget the pricing, its about the same amount in reduction. Mostly Powers and Jamesons for whiskeys.

It's so obviously a reaction to Northern shopping as its the first time in living memory they have put these offers at the front door en masse in your face. They must be hurting hence congrats to all those northern trekkers, we are helping these retailers to reduce prices here.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

gurramok wrote: »
    Thought i'd post this as seen today in Dunnes Blanch. Its a £10 a bottle up north so about £2.50 more expensive here but buyable at less then 20% markup if you do not want to trek up north instead of the the usual 60%+ markup!

All the whiskey and vodka is going cheaper too, i forget the pricing, its about the same amount in reduction. Mostly Powers and Jamesons for whiskeys.

It's so obviously a reaction to Northern shopping as its the first time in living memory they have put these offers at the front door en masse in your face. They must be hurting hence congrats to all those northern trekkers, we are helping these retailers to reduce prices here.:)

I think it's £10 for a 1ltr bottle up north though, rather than a 70cl. Was in Germany over the weekend & it was €11 for a litre of smirnoff vodka :eek:. Couldn't possibly carry another thing though, so didn't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

My husband, just this evening, bought a similar product to Baileys, in Dunnes also - it's called Irish Knights, Irish country cream, and it's honestly pretty identical to Baileys (to us at least). Anyway, it's around €8 for 70cl. I suggest giving it a try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Oral Slang wrote: »
    I think it's £10 for a 1ltr bottle up north though, rather than a 70cl.

Nope, you nearly gave me a heart attack :)

Just checked my Sainsburys receipt and my stack of leeched bottles, 700ml's for a tenner sterling it is.
    Unless you know where to get those 1L bottles on the cheap? (ans is prob up north:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I would like to congratulate all those who have shopped up north for bringing prices in the south down. The sickening thing is that the shops in the south could have brought down prices a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

My husband, just this evening, bought a similar product to Baileys, in Dunnes also - it's called Irish Knights, Irish country cream, and it's honestly pretty identical to Baileys (to us at least). Anyway, it's around €8 for 70cl. I suggest giving it a try!

Heh. I used to think the same, myself. My motto was - and still is - if you can't taste the difference, why pay the difference? I'd never drink too much Baileys in one sitting as it's so sweet but I found the after-taste from other Irish creams was less pleasant and I'd drink less of them. When I actually tried comparing Baileys side by side with another cheaper Irish cream, I really noticed the difference. (I got a friend to mix the two glasses up so it was a blind test.) I generally tend to stick with Baileys these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

afaik it came down to exactly the same price this time last year during the xmas period, likewise smirnoff,bushmills and all of the other diageo products came down. I doubt it has much to do with the north, just diageo/retailers fearing that the massive quantities ordered won't shift in time.

Same thing happens with the beer 24 can slabs, the 4 main retailers (dunnes,tesco,supervalu and superquinn) all drop prices up until about the 22nd/23rd. Just keep checking each of the stores every day if you really want to buy big.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Just checked my Sainsburys receipt and my stack of leeched bottles, 700ml's for a tenner sterling it is.
    Unless you know where to get those 1L bottles on the cheap? (ans is prob up north:D)

Unless they changed in the last couple of weeks Tesco had the 1ltr bottles for £10 in the North and all over the UK......pretty sure Waitrose too but don't know if they have shops in the North

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

DonJose wrote: »
    I would like to congratulate all those who have shopped up north for bringing prices in the south down. The sickening thing is that the shops in the south could have brought down prices a long time ago.

yeah but for how long

offer expires in ....

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

APM wrote: »
    afaik it came down to exactly the same price this time last year during the xmas period, likewise smirnoff,bushmills and all of the other diageo products came down. I doubt it has much to do with the north, just diageo/retailers fearing that the massive quantities ordered won't shift in time.

Same thing happens with the beer 24 can slabs, the 4 main retailers (dunnes,tesco,supervalu and superquinn) all drop prices up until about the 22nd/23rd. Just keep checking each of the stores every day if you really want to buy big.

They dropped their prices marginally on Spirits last year but nowhere near as low as this year and as far as beers go they were no lower then €39.99 a slab last year and now they have plummeted to €25 - this is most definetly a reaction to the droves heading north. They had a captive audience last year with full wallets, not so this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

Tesco in Clearwater definately sold Bud 24 slab for €29.99 for at least 2 days in the week before xmas, same price for Guiness draught in can in the Dunnes chain, Carsberg was €29.99 for slightly longer than 2 days in Dunnes too.

Not slabs went below 29.99 though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

Sainsburys in Newry were selling 1ltr bottles of baileys for £10 2 weeks ago,got one myself:)

I must of been overcharged. Ripped-off?..nah, not really considering the bloomin price in Dublin for it.
    No complaints here, i'll be more diligent next time up north though :)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Wineman wrote: »
    They dropped their prices marginally on Spirits last year but nowhere near as low as this year and as far as beers go they were no lower then €39.99 a slab last year and now they have plummeted to €25 - this is most definetly a reaction to the droves heading north. They had a captive audience last year with full wallets, not so this year.

Dunnes dropped the price of spirits last Christmas as well. Jameson was well down.

And not all price drops are due to the North (or else us down south wouldn't get them). A lot of price drops are to do qith the fact that there's less money out there - the same reason as the Uk price drops.

parsi wrote: »
    Dunnes dropped the price of spirits last Christmas as well. Jameson was well down.

And not all price drops are due to the North (or else us down south wouldn't get them). A lot of price drops are to do qith the fact that there's less money out there - the same reason as the Uk price drops.

Have you ever seen crateloads of whiskeys/liquer/vodka piled sky high at the entrance to a Dunnes off-licence before?

I haven't, it was always the usual beer bottles/cans!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Last year in Douglas. I remember also that the Offies gave out stink about it as it was crippling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

mondeoman wrote: »
    Sainsburys in Newry were selling 1ltr bottles of baileys for £10 2 weeks ago,got one myself:)

I too nabbed one of those 10 quid bottles of 1ltr baileys
    Its winking across the room at my now, just begging to be opened, but want to try and keep it for Xmas.

Got 2 trays of beer for 50euro in the Tesco offer the other day, sadly they wont see Xmas:D

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Got 2 of those Dunnes bottles of Baileys for around 14 squids at the weekend. CDG also had around 4 squids off the normal price. Nearly saved enough on those 3 to buy another one.

Cheers to the OP for posting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

did anyone actually manage to get any slabs of beer/cider in Tesco...i thought it was just a scam to get people in, as anyone i know didnt get any??

Advertisement