Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occasional slow pings / timeouts from PC to Router

Options
  • 05-12-2008 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

Hope this is the right place to post.

I have a Draytek Vigor 2900Gi wireless router and fixed wireless Internet (Amocom, static IP) connecting to 2 PCs (1 wired, 1 wireless) and 1 laptop (wireless). The incoming Internet goes into a Linksys PAP2 phone adaptor for VOIP which then connects to the router.

Recently I've been experiencing short outages in my Internet connection ranging from a few seconds to a few minutes, the entire network is affected at the same time. After consulting with my ISP (fixed wireless (static IP), they report unbroken contact to and no packet loss from my device, I pinged the Vigor from my PC (wired) whenever these slow periods / outages occur, and the ping suddenly goes from an average of 0 ns to up to 600 ns and timeouts.

Does that mean the router is starting to fail (it has worked flawlessly for the last 4 1/2 years)?
    Any advice is appreciated.
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I was going to say potential wireless problem, but if you are getting poor pings with wired, definitely looks like a router problem.

Running any peer to peer applications recently that open a lot of connections ? Some routers are poor at recycling old connections and become overloaded requiring a restart. Probably wouldn't affect a wired ping though.

Failing that, potentially some sort of virus/spyware on the machine, but unlikely that would affect the wired ping so much.

Perhaps look for new firmware for the router as well

Maybe test it with another machine/laptop and if it continues, time for a new router!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭netmann

You might also have a duplex mismatch between PC and router., although you'd expect the problem to be there all the time of this was the problem. Check if one end is set to auto and the other end fixed. Might be better to hard code both ends to full duplex if they take it

Advertisement