Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat getting sick Daily but appears Fine!

Options
  • 05-12-2008 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi We have a long haired cat called Claude
    we have not changed his food but nightly he is getting sick
    this has been happening for the past week
    there is no other signs of illness he has a good appetite
    playful and is out most of the day ,
    anyone any ideas of whats wrong with him ?
    he is a long haired cat i have attached pics maybe its just hairballs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭BennyLava

The other half's cat was doing the same, throwing up after eating, rest of the time seemed fine.
    Brought him to the vet last week, turns out he had gastritis, vet gave him a shot and a course of tablets, fine now no problems:)

Cats tend to get very sick when they get sick, most important thing is to make sure they have plenty of fluids, also if throwing up all the time best bet is to bring the cat to a vet

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Bring him to the vet. Starve him of all food for 24 hours and then feed small amounts of chicken and rice mushed up. And keep him in for a few days to ensure he's not eating anywhere else. To be honest u would know if it's hair balls, they look like poo, cylinder in shape and it will sound like he's coughing or heaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I had the same problem with my cat and after a couple of fruitless visits to the vet, I discovered it was the supermarket cat food I was giving him (as a treat).

I had put him on a mix of the pouches along with some dry food as a vet nurse said it was better for the kidneys. But it is nigh on impossible to find a high quality pouch or tin. The dry food doesn't upset his stomach, but the Whiskas etc all irritated him and make him either get the runs or puke. He is on Royal Canin dry all the time now.

Hes a little beaut btw! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭NedKelly

He gets whiskas pouches (twice a day) and then some dry food on top
    the only thing is he wont drink water he gets 50:50 mik and water mix
    if u give him plain water he leaves it there or puts his cat toys in the water bowel ????
    i wonder would the milk be a cause?
    hes not really mad on the dried food he tends to gulp down the pouhes but leave all the dry food there(untill he is starving)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

NedKelly wrote: »
    He gets whiskas pouches (twice a day) and then some dry food on top
    the only thing is he wont drink water he gets 50:50 mik and water mix
    if u give him plain water he leaves it there or puts his cat toys in the water bowel ????
    i wonder would the milk be a cause?
    hes not really mad on the dried food he tends to gulp down the pouhes but leave all the dry food there(untill he is starving)

Stop the milk, cats normally can't digest cow's milk, give him fresh water every day, and put it away from his food dish, not right beside it. For some reason some cats don't like to drink exactly where they like to eat.

I'd try some dry food such as Royal Canin, I've found it the best brand.
    I'd stop the pouches totally.
    As suggested already, give him cooked chicken with a little bit of boiled rice, it'll be easy on his digestive system.

What age is he?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

Good advice so far! Just to add that also some cats dont like water sitting in their bowl, or bowls they can see reflection in eg stainless steel, thats why sometimes you can find them in the sink licking a dripping tap... :rolleyes: maybe a drinkwell fountain or similar would help?

If royal canin is out of your budget Arden Grange dry cat food is also good and a lot more affordable :)

Yep ill try that food tomorrow
    he is only 17 Months old
    are the pouches not that good?
    thanks for all the advice so far!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Puking cat: hairballs; worms; sensitive stomach; something more serious.

If it was something more serious, he may appear 'flat' and listless, be hissy or cranky when touched, have pale gums and a lack of energy, or exhibit signs of dehydration (tiredness, irritability and if you pull up the scruff skin, it will take a few seconds to fit slowly back into place, instead of springing back quickly as it should.)

Take him to the vet first to see what the story is.

Then worm him.

Change his food to include a mixture of high-quality, protein-rich wet food that gets most of its protein from animal sources, not plants, and supplement with one of the better quality dry foods.

Do not give your cat a milk/water mix. You can give a little lactose-free milk as a treat, but otherwise only give him water. Give it in a ceramic bowl with a pale interior, to minimise odours and reflections, and change the water twice a day. If you're in a hard water area, try him with some rainwater. (Yes, I'm serious. Put it through a Brita filter first if you like.)

Since he is a truly gorgeous long-haired guy, you need to introduce some grooming into your daily routine with him. The best for long haired cats are slicker-brush types, they'll take out a LOT of the excess hair. That'll help reduce the amount he ingests in self-grooming, and help you bond with him.

(If you've never brushed him, grab a bag of treats and the brush. Wait until he's relaxed. Give him a treat. Show him the brush. Let him examine the brush, sniff it, so on. Give him a treat. Start to stroke him with your hand. Then start alternating hand/brush/hand/brush. Don't go too hard - eventually you'll have a cat who's happy to be brushed - hopefully (unfortunately some of them always hate it). )

Any improvement when you changed his food?

Changed his Dry food and put him on Kitten food (though might be gentler on stomach) kept him in and only gave him Water , No milk
    ill see how he is tomorrow but he got sick again last night

He appears fine otherwise , running around goes out not sleep or tired at all ?

• Advertisement

NedKelly wrote: »
    Changed his Dry food and put him on Kitten food (though might be gentler on stomach) kept him in and only gave him Water , No milk
    ill see how he is tomorrow but he got sick again last night

He appears fine otherwise , running around goes out not sleep or tired at all ?
    Is it only at night that he gets sick?
    If you've ruled out fur balls and you've changed the food and stopped the milk, it's either some stomach sensitivity lingering on, or actual gastritis even though you'd expect some diarrhoea to accompany that.
    Try nothing but boiled chicken filets with rice and if he's still sick in a day or so, take him to your vet.

The only problem with changing food is that for cats with sensitive stomachs sometimes the change itself makes them sick.

And actually - kitten food is much richer than cat food - it has really high levels of fat and protein - it may not be the best thing to try. Sorry! :) The better brands of cat foods have types for cats with sensitive stomachs. Its a bit more expensive but it might be necessary for your little guy.

If it continues you better ask the vet to run some tests. One of my friend's cats had an intolerance of regular cat food and ended up with its stomach lining nearly destroyed. They got it just in time, and now she is on a special diet.

I would back up Rancid's suggestion of plain chicken & rice, and if THAT doesn't sort it out, you better get the tests done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

I really can't believe some of the rubbish that gets posted. People telling you to feed your cat dry food when the op has said his cat won't touch water. Not only that, his cats getting sick meaning he's going to get even more dehydrated! Pfft

If you haven't changed his diet then something else is causing the problem, bring him to the vet.

Ignore the posts telling you to get Royal Canin Veterinary foods, its actually toxic.

GigaByte wrote: »
    Ignore the posts telling you to get Royal Canin Veterinary foods, its actually toxic.

wtf???

Care to explain?

MsFifers wrote: »
    wtf???

Care to explain?

On April 19, St. Charles, Missouri-based Royal Canin USA recalled some of its dry cat and dog foods after the contaminant melamine was found in its rice protein concentrate.

Royal said it was unaware of any cats or dogs becoming sick from its products, but was recalling the following products as a precaution after finding melamine, the toxic ingredient suspecting in the killing of potentially hundreds of pets across the United States, in its food.

Also recalled in Canada.

Not to mention the lawsuit for excessive amounts of Vitamin D.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

GigaByte wrote: »
    On April 19, St. Charles, Missouri-based Royal Canin USA recalled some of its dry cat and dog foods after the contaminant melamine was found in its rice protein concentrate.

Royal said it was unaware of any cats or dogs becoming sick from its products, but was recalling the following products as a precaution after finding melamine, the toxic ingredient suspecting in the killing of potentially hundreds of pets across the United States, in its food.

Also recalled in Canada.

Not to mention the lawsuit for excessive amounts of Vitamin D.

Yeah, i wouldn't be too worried seeing as it is RC USA that has the problem,not RC that we buy here. If you can find a link in which there is info to say that RC i UK or Ireland has been recalled can you post it here please cos my cat are fed RC. i was at the vet tonight and none of the RC food i bought was recalled.

Yeah, i wouldn't be too worried seeing as it is RC USA that has the problem,not RC that we buy here. If you can find a link in which there is info to say that RC i UK or Ireland has been recalled can you post it here please cos my cat are fed RC. i was at the vet tonight and none of the RC food i bought was recalled.

I don't feed my cats RC, so your right, I wouldn't worry. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

What do you feed your cats then, just out of interest?

If the OP's cat eats pouched food twice a day, I'm not surprised he doesn't drink a lot of water... Wet/tinned foods have a moisture content of at least 80% - in other words, they are mostly water! He is not necessarily dehydrated.

OP, he is drop-dead gorgeous, by the way!

boomerang wrote: »
    I'm not surprised he doesn't drink a lot of water... Wet/tinned foods have a moisture content of at least 80% - in other words, they are mostly water!

Exactly, the way it should be for a cat just like their natural diet.

No sickness today he was in great form last night and i have the scrapes to prove it!!! , Ill keep an eye on him over the next day or so and if he gets sick again its straight to the Vet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Great! :D

Still happening , brought him to Vets Today !!
    He got injections and wormed and antibiotics for a week + perscription food! he is also 1lb over weight!!
    it was soo funny in the vets he was shaking and his poor paws got all sweaty with nervousness!!! big wet paw prints all over the table !!!!

Poor kitten.

Wormed... and antibiotics?
    Keep a close eye on him over the next day or so incase the antibiotics aggravate his stomach.

What's the prescription food?

They hate the vet visit, I had a cat many years ago who used to pant like a dog.

Hope your little guy is ok soon. :)

Advertisement