Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help in choice of telescope

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

Hi Wexfordman,

I am a newbie myself but saw this on adverts.ie

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=79552&cat=32

I don't know maybe a good scope for the money?

Best of luck mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

Thanks Guvnor,

Under pressure now, getting close to deadline ordering :-0

I think looking at it meade seems to be the way to go, as they seem to have the best features for a novice, and lots of interfacing to pc etc.

Affordability means the etx range, and at that I am looking at

etx80
    etx90
    etx125

the etx 125 being about 700 stg (my budget has had to go up), the etx90 about 300 stg. I am not sure what I will get in the difference beween the two , and if the extra 300 to 400 stg is worth it for the 125. Being a complete novice, I did look at the meade galary for the etx range of telescopes, and the one thing that did strike me is that all the photos in the gallery were from the etx125, none from the lower spec ones, leading me to think the lower spec are not great for astrophotography.

This may be a simplistic way of looking at it, any advice appreciated.
    Wexfordman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Hi Wexfordman

I'm a newbie as well but one thing I would say is that you shouldn't be thinking too much about astrophotography at this stage. I recently bought my telescope. Its a Celestron Astromaster 90EQ and I paid €175. I bought mine from astronomy.ie. BTW I don't work there or have any connection with them but when I rang them they were very helpful. It has an equatorial mount which can take a while to get used to but once you master it, its great. It doesn't have a pc interface but as a newbie I don't think you really need it.
    I also use a book called "Turn left at Orion". Its an excellent book that shows you how to find objects in the sky easily.
    The difference between the Meade ETX 125 and ETX 90 is the size of the Aperture. The larger the Aperture the more light the scope gathers. My telescope has a 90mm aperture and I'm well impressed with the images I see. However I have no intention of doing any astrophotgraphy yet. I'm still enjoying exploring the night sky.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is don't have to overspend on your first scope and when you do get it enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Have a look at www.irishastronomy.org for extra advice on this

Advertisement