Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback on my GAA website

Options
  • 05-12-2008 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hey everyone...

What do you think of my clubs GAA website?

I have limited experience in html and slightly bound by the restrictive nature of the GAA template Im using but what do ye think I can improve on?

Any ideas or comments on how to improve very welcome!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Two things, the large purple area that is blank on the left looks bad to me, and also when you highlight a menu option on the left, the black font combined with the dark purple make it unreadable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 anpaw

agreed....tried to get the fella doing the work for me to change those 2 things. But he said due to the GAA template his hands were tied....

anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

The site looks ok ... but this is put into the internet marketing / seo forum therefore I'll treat it as a what should be changed thread.

- lack of header tags
    - use of tables
    - fonts are a bit all over the place
    - left aligned doesn't really feel ideal
    - don't really like the black colour on the hover on the menu items
    - logo is pixelated
    - lack of pretty urls
    - lack of breadcrumbs
    - front page scrolls WAY too much

thanks forbairt...prob posted in wrong forum for feedback on my site...couldnt find a more suitable place.

wouldnt have too much knowledge on breadcrumbs, pretty urls?

is there any site out there that would give me a basic, easy to understand knowledge in updating/maintaining a site?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

really what you're after is a CMS (Content Management System)

From the sounds of it you're not that tech savvy ?

A CMS would basically allow you to make updates similar to how you post on here. You log in ... you edit a page ... you add a new page ... you link to a page using the buttons and so on.

www.w3schools.com would give a lot of good reading on web design so its all a question of how much time you've got to invest. You had someone else design this for you ?

edit: Breadcrumbs = Where are you in the site
    Home > About Us > Manager
    so the person can get back to the previous page or see where they are easily

Pretty URLS

/about_us/Manager

instead of index.php?id=47

• Advertisement

yeah not that savvy at all with sites!
    basically i had the bland GAA template as site, then gat a fella to touch it up a bit and I edit/update it regularily.

Not sure how far i can go and whether I can use your ideas as the GAA template is fairly restrictive....but il give it a shot....cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 proballyg

Yes you are limited by the template . Most important is to keep it up to date

visit www.ballygarvangaa.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

anpaw wrote: »
    agreed....tried to get the fella doing the work for me to change those 2 things. But he said due to the GAA template his hands were tied....

anything else?

get gid of him/her - thats bull - this is in your 'styles' -'veiw>sourse - you will find this:
    body {
    background-color: #680031;

that sets you background colour - change that. a few key strokes - to say that you cant (ie wont) is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭donnaille

blue4ever wrote: »
    get gid of him/her - thats bull - this is in your 'styles' -'veiw>sourse - you will find this:
    body {
    background-color: #680031;

that sets you background colour - change that. a few key strokes - to say that you cant (ie wont) is awful.

I could be wrong but isn't it the same template used for nearly all the Gaa club websites that are hosted on the Gaa.ie domain?

donnaille wrote: »
    I could be wrong but isn't it the same template used for nearly all the Gaa club websites that are hosted on the Gaa.ie domain?

just had a peek = shocking!!

All the same......... there money in GAA templates somewhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭donnaille

blue4ever wrote: »
    just had a peek = shocking!!

All the same......... there money in GAA templates somewhere!

Pretty shocking alright, a nice pixellated logo to go with it and all. Was just thinking this might be the reason the person cannot edit the css file for changing the text/background colour. :)

I spoke too soon - maybe we will be saved for the 'template' - in todays Indo.

Thursday December 18 2008

THE GAA has unveiled an ambitious new project designed to streamline the communications process at every level of the association.

After almost three years of planning, research and consultation, a partnership with technology giant Google was announced yesterday which will see the information flow throughout the GAA become more focused and relevant to the individual.

The three-phase programme, which coincides with the 125th anniversary of the association, will be rolled out as part of the Strategic Vision and Action plan and is aimed at encouraging greater communication across the board.

Among the features is an individual e-mail address for each and every member of the association where they will be able to access a host of information including their club's fixtures and results for that season at the click of a mouse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Don't know much but that looks good (except for the purple patch). Nice.

Advertisement