Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Advice??? help??-pregnant in college

Options
  • 05-12-2008 2:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,
    Just wondering could anybody give me some advice cause I'm really stressed and don't know what to do??
    Basically I am a 23 year old, from West of Ireland in my fourth year in college, studying for my honours degree. I already have an ordinary degree. I live at home with my parents at the moment and I am not entitled to a grant unfortunately. My boyfriend lives and works in Dublin.
    We just found out about a month ago that I am pregnant (almost 12 weeks now) and due the beginning of July.
    I had decided before I found out I was pregnant that I would move to Dublin to live with my boyfriend when I had finished college. When I did find out I was pregnant initially my boyfriend wanted me to move to Dublin after Christmas and finish college next year but then we decided that I may as well try to get my honours degree finished as it would be difficult to return to college when I have a newborn baby.

Unfortunately, last week I got let go from my part-time job of four years because business was so slow. I now have absolutely no source of income and I am not entitled to social welfare because I am in college. I am finding it very difficult to find another job as it is so close to Christmas and I think after it will be almost impossible as I will be beginning to show.
    Since I will not be in employment I will not receive maternity benifit and I will not be entitled to any social welfare until I am out of college three months or untill the baby is born. I have some savings but they will probably only last me until after Christmas. I cannot rely on my parents for support as my father was also recently let-go and they are struggling as it is.My boyfriend said he will try to help me out but he has his own expenses and don't want that either.
    I would like to finish college but cannot even concentrate I am so stressed about finances and beginning to think I should leave and look for a full time job in Dublin or at least I would receive social welfare and have some money in preparation for the baby.
    Any advice welcome??????? Can't sleep, I'm so worried.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

How awful for you but wouldn't you be in the same position right now financially even if you weren't pregnant!

Maternity benefit is paid based on the prior year so it will be for stamps in 2008 or 2007 ( perhaps). You need to phone the social welfare and find out. Still if you're entitled you won't be able to claim that until 6 weeks before the birth so lets say mid May.

Once you get a job nobody is going to let you go cause you are pregnant. That's so illegal. Even if you get a job one day a week in McDonalds it will help you meet your day to day expenses.

Maybe you are going to have to take a loan or your boyfriend should. It's his duty to help you. Talk to the college also, they may have a hardship fund.

You are not paying rent and your parents are probably feeding you so it's just day to day expenses ( maybe €100 a week - so a loan of €2000 should cover you until benefit kick in). It's not as black as it seems and babies needn't cost the earth. Being pregnant severley curtails your social life so you'll need less money anyway.

Hope that helps but being pregnant can be anxious time anyway ( and an emeotional rollercoaster) so you may feel better today. Best Wishes

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

To Begin with Congrats:)
    I think finishing your degree first is a very good decision,it won't be easy but in the future it will really pay off for you and baby.
    Does your college have a student assistance fund?Maybe, apply for it if it does.
    A lot of shops will have temporary christmas contracts available,this could keep you tiding over for a while.
    I think you need to be in employment for 14 weeks before you take maternity leave to qualify and then it is based on the 07 tax year for next year (not 100% sure)
    The citizens information site has more information.
    Good luck:)

If you want to chat feel free to pm me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭bored and tired

firstly congratulations,

I know that you are in turmoil at the moment and every thing seems to be going against you. I found out i was pregnant 3 weeks into a new (crap) job, straight out of school so i do now what you are going through, I went to night college while pregnant and sat my year end exams with a 2mth old at home.
    Firstly make sure that you are eating right and taking right vitamins.

Losing your job may seem like the end of the world now, but think of it as a positive thing - you are pregnant, going to college, have major exam this year and are going to be tired, so think of not working as extra time for yourself for naps, exercise and study. Do continue with college, it will be too expensive next year as you may not get college creche place so would need to pay a childminder,

Secondly your boyfriend has to help out, no ifs ands or buts, At the moment he needs to help out by at least paying for half your maternity clothes, you are not showing yet so go to the sales in january and pick up some maternity clothes there, You wont need too many, i survived with one pants for work, and 2 jeans for the rest of the time, tops and things will be plenty cheap, Give him a list of essentials like baby clothes, blankets, nappies, toileterys that the baby will need and ask him to buy something every week so that you have a good stock when the baby comes. again sales in january for clothes like vests and babygrows, - green or white . look out for 2for1s, bulk buy nappies, and there is nothing wrong with lidl nappies either,

Ask around, there may be a family friend, neighbour, cousin, aunt who has had a baby who could give you some things to start out with, or there old maternity clothes. They might have old car seat, first buggy or a bouncer. You dont need to buy a cot and a moses basket, so if you cant afford it just get the cot.

Go to the social welfare office and tell them about your circumstances, there are one off payments that you can get, i think they call them urgent needs payments, they may be able to give you some money to help with buying a cot and buggy, If you decide not to move in with your boyfriend straight away, and im saying this from personal experience, because you will be leaving the west of ireland, your family, support system, to go to Dublin, it may be daunting when the time comes, then apply for the lone parents allowance when the baby is born.

Lastly a new born baby needs clothes, nappies, feeding and lots of love. If you decide to feed the baby yourself there will be next to no expense other than the nappies, Babies really are only as expensive as you make them. They dont need gap tops and nike runners when they are 3mths old, so enjoy giving him or her all the cuddles and love that they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

just to add congrats and to the advice here
    You should speak to the mature student officer in college they should be able to offer advice and perhaps a financial digout as there is a social welfare fund that you might be entitled to funds from.

also jumbletown.ie often have good quality prams and clothes been given away free by other parents so keep an eye on that

good luck

Advertisement