Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blurb

Options
  • 04-12-2008 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi. I'm making a photo book with blurb, and I know some om you guys have used it for the photography yearbook. Anyway, I wondered how do you make the photograph fit on a page without cropping out some of it? I know the ideal size for the page is 1550 pixels width & 1555 pixels height, but when i type in either the height or the width in image size in photoshop, the other one doesn't match up. Any ideas what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

well you camera will not produce square images, generally they are 3:2 ratio or sometimes 4:3

the ratio you mention for the book is square. so you will have to crop your images to make them fit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Have you looked through the software? There are any number of different templates/sizes available to you. Unfortunately the templates are pretty rigid though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

Getting back to the photobook theme...
    I'm trying to get a book with 2008's pictures
    the point is: I don't like blurb's template
    I'd be happy getting page by page done with something else (PS templates, 3rd party software, etc) and upload what will be full page pictures to the template

do you understand what I mean?
    ok, if you do, how do I go about doing it?
    A bit of a struggle to start from scratch in PS, there may be an easier way of doing it (some 200 pics, about 40-50 pages)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Haven't used blurb but Steve's advice (stcstc) is sound. I think you need to do the crop before sticking them into blurb. There may be options in the software but if you size them outside of the software then you shouldn't have to search for options in the software. Use something like the Gimp (free) or Photoshop if you have it to crop to a 1:1 ratio or 1550:1555 to be precise.

Good luck with it.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Haven't used blurb but Steve's advice (stcstc) is sound. I think you need to do the crop before sticking them into blurb. There may be options in the software but if you size them outside of the software then you shouldn't have to search for options in the software. Use something like the Gimp (free) or Photoshop if you have it to crop to a 1:1 ratio or 1550:1555 to be precise.

Good luck with it.

Thanks
    but cropping is not my problem
    I'd like some to be rotated (a bit, not 90, 180 degrees) on the template, some pictures to be the background and other personalized features
    long ago I used the software from ALDI and it was more flexible in a way to the one provided by BLURB (I won't use them again as the colours were totally off and too bright, and I have my screen calibrated)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

quilmore wrote: »
    Thanks
    but cropping is not my problem
    I'd like some to be rotated (a bit, not 90, 180 degrees) on the template, some pictures to be the background and other personalized features
    long ago I used the software from ALDI and it was more flexible in a way to the one provided by BLURB (I won't use them again as the colours were totally off and too bright, and I have my screen calibrated)

Oh sorry - I was replying to Isar :)

I've used Lulu to do photobooks and it was pretty rigid. I didn't like the lulu creation system to be honest.

There is one other option with lulu if you are willing to hand craft your book with PS or the like. Lulu will print from a PDF with particular specifications all available on their site so you could create a PDF of your book of images through photoshop and print from that. I'd be guessing that you'd want to be pretty consistent with your design though. Thats basically the benefit of the template systems that the likes of blurb uses.

Anyhow, sorry I can't be of more help.

Cheers.

actually, by pure chance, on a comment on an american blog I found this:
    http://www.lumapix.com/extreme/ext_overview.shtml
    it's a really clever program, found a very old version of it and it really does the trick

Advertisement