Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start

Options
  • 04-12-2008 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone.

I'm very interested in Buddhism and would love to start learning more about it but I really can't find how anywhere to start.

I'm currently in Korea so theres no lack of Buddhist monks, just a lack of English speaking ones.

Can anyone help ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

you could have a look in the sticky and maybe get a book?

have a google?

wikpedia ?

etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

ntlbell wrote: »
    you could have a look in the sticky and maybe get a book?

have a google?

wikpedia ?

etc

Yes ....

I was actually referring to something more ... teacher/student orientated.

I'm trying to learn a language on my own, have bought books etc and failing badly so I have decided I need to go to class. I don't think that learning about Buddhism would be any better served that way. Basically I'm looking for some instruction ... something other then me reading a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

monosharp wrote: »
    Yes ....

I was actually referring to something more ... teacher/student orientated.

I'm trying to learn a language on my own, have bought books etc and failing badly so I have decided I need to go to class. I don't think that learning about Buddhism would be any better served that way. Basically I'm looking for some instruction ... something other then me reading a book.

Check out any of the lectures on Youtube. I learned a lot of what I know there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Asiaprod wrote: »
    Check out any of the lectures on Youtube. I learned a lot of what I know there.
    Asia, Do you reckon I could be a Buddhist or are my too pedantic and messed up?

Asia, Do you reckon I could be a Buddhist or are my too pedantic and messed up?
    There is a little Buddhism in each of us. At a base level, Buddhism is nothing more than common sense. I would never call you too pedantic or messed up, just a little:p
    Feel free to investigate it here, we all know you:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Asiaprod wrote: »
    There is a little Buddhism in each of us. At a base level, Buddhism is nothing more than common sense. I would never call you too pedantic or messed up, just a little:p
    Feel free to investigate it here, we all know you:)
    I read a few books about it. Some interesting ideas, but overall it didn't bite.

I read a few books about it. Some interesting ideas, but overall it didn't bite.
    Can you elaborate on where or why you feel it did not bite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Lads,

What I'm looking for is some kind of group contact.

i.e > I want to be christian I can go down to church on a sunday, meet other christians in 1000 different kinds of christian groups.

I know many buddhists don't go to temple, or see a need to, etc but surely there is some kind of group meeting-togeather thing ?

monosharp wrote: »
    Lads,

What I'm looking for is some kind of group contact.

i.e > I want to be christian I can go down to church on a sunday, meet other christians in 1000 different kinds of christian groups.

I know many buddhists don't go to temple, or see a need to, etc but surely there is some kind of group meeting-togeather thing ?

Use your computer to google local groups, I know there are many. Check with your embassy, local papers, any foreign community groups

This South Korea site will start you off, I found a couple on it.
    http://www.expat-advisory.com/
    Here are links to local temples
    http://www.expat-advisory.com/south-korea/seoul/buddhist-temple-stay-korea.php

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bou

I'd suggest find a bunch of books by Korean authors published in English, read some and see what appeals best to you. Look for contacts based on the Authors of the books you like.

Go to some spititual-stuff related shops and ask questions about what's there in your area. Even ask the tourist office.

Ask questions and engage in some conversation to find out more about the landscape and having got some info together, locate some places and jump in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bou

A directory of Buddhism in Korea:
    http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/country.php?country_id=44
    It seems to have a good fewlistings.

Advertisement