Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kava

Options
  • 04-12-2008 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

anybody know if the is a decent supplier of kava root in Ireland? ie not the crap such as leaves and stems you get from internet sites. Have only seen one health store with Kava root extract powder in ireland.. it was American so i passed on it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

Not sure if this thread is relevant to this forum but your question is interesting... Kava was voluntarily withdrawn from sale six years ago in Ireland, so it's my understanding that it's against industry policy among health stores etc. to sell it, though I'm sure it's fine for people to import it on their own time. Having said that, wasn't it also banned from import into the EU until the day before you posted this thread?

Since now we know it's not harmful anymore, at least the roots, it will probably be reappearing sometime soon. As for your question I think you can get root powder easily on ebay that is Fiji-branded.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭nomnomnom

Hey,

Kava is only banned as a medicine in the EU apart from Britain, The Netherlands, France and since earlier this year, Portugal. It's legal elsewhere in the EU once the supplier does not claim any medicinal effects from it.

There is an Irish website selling very good Vanuatu Kava http://www.globalkavaexports.com/

Since it was only voluntarily removed from sale here these guys apparently decided not to volunteer.

It was only banned recently in Portugal because some eejits were selling it in Headshops.

I personally use Kava as often as I can, its a great way to relax and a great alternative to alcohol. I used to drink nearly every day to get to sleep and of course very quickly that became a problem.

Kava has been drank for 3000 years in the South Pacific and until recently women were not allowed to drink it so if there were adverse side effects you would have seen the men becoming very ill but not the women, it's safe once the supplier you use doesn't sell stem or leaves and only Kava root or a resin/oil made using a water based extraction method, I would avoid alcohol extracts of Kava.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jldesign

No Idea, Searched everywhere, Tried Amazon. Have no idea why it would be banned as it is natural and good for you. Let me know if you find a legal supplier of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

As this is neither a beer, a wine nor a spirit - it is not a topic for this forum, never mind the thread being a zombie.

Closed.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement