Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portarlington Boxing Club

Options
  • 04-12-2008 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Is there a boxing club in Portarlingtion?? If so where do they train and what is the contact details.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 SmandyMaguire

jgally wrote: »
    Is there a boxing club in Portarlingtion?? If so where do they train and what is the contact details.

Thanks

yeah there's one at the East End Hotel. they usually train Sunday morning 3a.m. to 4a.m.
    You don't need to contact anyone...just drink a few flagons and show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Gareth28

yeah there's one at the East End Hotel. they usually train Sunday morning 3a.m. to 4a.m.
    You don't need to contact anyone...just drink a few flagons and show up.

Ha... class reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭jgally

Useful information as always :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

op dont think there is one in port there is taekwondo if thats any good to ye:D

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Definitely OT but I was dismayed to see the GAA fundraising to buy more land for additional GAA pitches. I'm a GAA man myself, as well as Soccer and Pitch and Putt.

Actually I'll stop there. The three big sports have fine facilities as it stands. The minority sports could be better served (boxing), while there is an excellent tennis club and leisure centre (appearance wise never used either).

Op - if you're interested in boxing why not look to establish a club? I'm big into Pitch and Putt and there isn't an affiliated club within Laois (the nearest being Tullamore or the Curragh) and that is something I'm looking at working on for Port in the foreseeable future. I believe that there is a big enough interest and community out there for the lesser funded sports.

Also what sports can the country say we've World Champions in? Boxing and Pitch and Putt

http://www.independent.ie/topics/Katie+Taylor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Pitch_and_putt_World_Cup

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,167 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Thanks

there was one years ago.... but it finished up.

There is adequate facilities in the community centre should another be started up...

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭jgally

TBH I have never boxed before so I'd be a complete novice and wouldn't be qualified to set up a boxing club.

If anyone wants to set one up I'd be willing to help them do whatever is needed. I just need someone who knows what they are talking about and whats needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 fefe

Thanks
    No there is no boxing club in port. There use to be a very successful one years ago but it was disbanded due to lack of funds. There is one though in Portlaoise which is approx 12 miles away

fefe

Kingdom wrote: »
    Definitely OT but I was dismayed to see the GAA fundraising to buy more land for additional GAA pitches. I'm a GAA man myself, as well as Soccer and Pitch and Putt.

Actually I'll stop there. The three big sports have fine facilities as it stands. The minority sports could be better served (boxing), while there is an excellent tennis club and leisure centre (appearance wise never used either).

Op - if you're interested in boxing why not look to establish a club? I'm big into Pitch and Putt and there isn't an affiliated club within Laois (the nearest being Tullamore or the Curragh) and that is something I'm looking at working on for Port in the foreseeable future. I believe that there is a big enough interest and community out there for the lesser funded sports.

Also what sports can the country say we've World Champions in? Boxing and Pitch and Putt

http://www.independent.ie/topics/Katie+Taylor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Pitch_and_putt_World_Cup

Port GAA are raising funds to develop a site which has been given free, not to buy land!!They were donated the land during the making of the Portarlington Town Plan, the local councillors sought fit to zone the land and the landowner bequested the land for getting the land zoned. You have been misinformed. Port GAA always had two pitches but lost one in the high court; they fought to keep it using squatters rights!!! but alas they lost. There is a lot of history to the "FIELD""!!

fefe

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

fefe wrote: »
    Port GAA are raising funds to develop a site which has been given free, not to buy land!!They were donated the land during the making of the Portarlington Town Plan, the local councillors sought fit to zone the land and the landowner bequested the land for getting the land zoned. You have been misinformed. Port GAA always had two pitches but lost one in the high court; they fought to keep it using squatters rights!!! but alas they lost. There is a lot of history to the "FIELD""!!

fefe

Is that how the soccer team lost their additional pitch so? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,167 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Kingdom wrote: »
    Is that how the soccer team lost their additional pitch so? :rolleyes:

it was never theirs to 'lose'....

theres a complicated history over that field, but basically... the soccer club and gaa club (and hurling too... i trained for port hurling on that pitch!!) were basically give free use of the land... but ownership was never contested.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    it was never theirs to 'lose'....

theres a complicated history over that field, but basically... the soccer club and gaa club (and hurling too... i trained for port hurling on that pitch!!) were basically give free use of the land... but ownership was never contested.

Port soccar club trained on the field opposite the factor a long long time ago. it has been used only for GAA in the last number of years. the developer who owned the factory was going to give some of the field adjacent to the factory (on the dublin side of factory)to the soccar club and the rest of the field for housing. this was going to be the case if the field which was been used by the GAA would be zoned for housing. They wanted the GAA out of it no matter what and won their case in the high court. The Councillors didnt rezone any of the lands to the developer's (McCormack)liking so he pulled the plug on the lot of them!!!!
    The soccar club have a field out on the Dublin road but it becoming a very big club with lots of teams and needed a second field also.

fefe

• Registered Users Posts: 44 chevy

Actually port GAA do have to raise money to buy a new pitch. This land was bought from Mahers adjacent to the one they lost in the high court.

chevy wrote: »
    Actually port GAA do have to raise money to buy a new pitch. This land was bought from Mahers adjacent to the one they lost in the high court.
    4 acres of land was given as a "Covenient" by the Mahers for having some of their land zoned for housing, during the drafting of the Portarlington Area Plan. the land is free but money needs to be raised to develop the site, which is why they are raising the money.

fefe

• Registered Users Posts: 44 chevy

Any developer wanting to build houses on land has to set aside a certain percentage as green area. Some of the acreage mentioned can be used as existing green area by any developer building on this land.

However the GAA still had to buy agricultural and some residental land from the Maher family. Any development on the site will cost more.

chevy wrote: »

apologies chevy, Port GAA paid the sum of €460,000 for 4.6acres to Mahers for the "field". Dont think it was a bargin though, not in the current climate. the only ones who won on this was the Mahers, I think!!!
    fefe

Advertisement