Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie of the Year Front Runners

Options
  • 04-12-2008 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭

I like to follow the up and comers in the game as much as I can. Being a Chicago Blackhawk fan, it has been a little easier over the past two seasons to do that since the futility of almost a decade is starting to pay off with the fruits of drafting so high every year.

This year we have a Kris Versteeg who came to Chicago via a trade with Boston and not as a draft pick. Versteeg is currently leading all rookies in assists, points, and +/-.

Derick Brassard of the Columbus Blue Jackets was named Rookie of the Month for October while jumping out early in the rookie scoring race. He is currently three points behind Versteeg.

Mikhail Grabovski of the Leafs (Leaves) is currently leading all rookies in goal scoring with 10.

We're only a little more tan 1/4 of the way through the season, but this is how they matchup so far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Looks like Kris Versteeg has slowed down a little bit in Chicago with Brassard tying with him of the rookie lead. Brassard has currently played one more (29)game as of this writing.

St Louis rookie, Patrik Berglund has 20 points in 25 games.

Mikhail Grabovski has 19 points in 30 games played/

COLUMBUS, OHIO – Columbus Blue Jackets center Derick Brassard, who suffered a dislocated shoulder on December 18 at Dallas, will undergo surgery and miss the rest of the 2008-09 season.

Brassard, 21, was injured during the first period of last Thursday's 6-5 shootout loss at Dallas during a fight with Stars rookie winger James Neal.

Brassard tallied 10 goals, 15 assists and 25 points with 17 penalty minutes and a plus-12 rating in 31 games this season and currently leads all NHL rookies in scoring.

Columbus' first pick, sixth overall, in the 2006 Entry Draft, Brassard was the NHL's Rookie of the Month in October and had collected points in 20-of-31 games this season.

The surgery will be performed by Dr. Anthony Miniaci, Director of the Cleveland Clinic Sports Health Center, in early January.

I keep forgetting to throw Steve Mason into the mix. The Columbus backstop is really putting up the numbers this season with five shutouts to his name.

He has to be considered the leader in the race for the Calder at this point.

Since I am the only one contributing to this thread I will throw my two cents in every so often. lol

Bobby Ryan in Anaheim is coming into his own, and is looking like the solid #2 or #3 pick for the Calder this season.

Mason still looks to have it wrapped up in Columbus at the moment with Ryan/Versteeg fighting for the #2 spot at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭da ax murderer

what about luke schenn from maple leafs ??

• Advertisement

what about luke schenn from maple leafs ??

Seriously ?

There are at least 10 rookie D-men with better numbers than him .

1g + 5a = 6 points, 46 PIM -14 +/- (with a repectable) 22:07 TOI

There will never be a Calder Trophy winning D-man with a +/- like that. Schenn is going to be a solid D-man one day, but he is not worth mentioning for ROTY.

Drew Doughty in Los Angeles may get his name into the Top 5, but he'll be the only D-man mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭da ax murderer

yeah i agree im just a bit biased being a leafs fan :}

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

Does Max Pacioretty count as a rookie? he's played some sweet hockey for habs

Does Max Pacioretty count as a rookie? he's played some sweet hockey for habs

He does.

He has 10 points (3g +7a) with 19 PIM (0 +/-)in 25 games this season.

He won't even be an also ran in the ROTY voting.

Steve Mason, Bobby Ryan and Kris Versteeg were announced as the Finalists for the Calder Memorial Trophy.

The voting should come out in that order.

• Advertisement
Advertisement