Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to get rid of spare tyre / paunch

Options
  • 04-12-2008 3:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭

I seem to have developed a paunch, spare tyre, beer belly - call it what you will.

Am in late 20s and need to do more exercise to try and get rid of it.

Any recommendations for the most effective way to get rid of it. It's all the way around my waist really rather than just my stomach...sit-ups, cycling, etc. etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Gekko wrote: »
    I seem to have developed a paunch, spare tyre, beer belly - call it what you will.

Any recommendations for the most effective way to get rid of it. It's all the way around my waist really rather than just my stomach...sit-ups, cycling, etc. etc.?

Combination of improving your diet/do more excercise!
    You cant spot reduce fat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

and try the fitness forum?

Plenty of people there that can help you with workout goals etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Sit-ups etc are grand for maintaining/toning a flat stomach but imo aren't gonna shed your belly for ya.
    You have to go on a diet of some sort plain and simple. It's not that hard - just cut out all crap (crisps, chocolate, fried food, chinese, pizzas etc), drink plenty of water instead of fizzy drinks etc, cut out snacking. Cutting out bread can be a big help if you eat a lot of it. You can still have substantial three meals a day, just healthy choices.
    And if you're fond of the booze try drinking spirits or wine for a while rather than copious amounts of pints. That's what works for me anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

thanks for replies.

I'm on a limited diet as it is so I can't really change it. I rarely drink.

I'll have to do a bit of trial and error with exercise and try some sit-ups etc. Will have a look at the fitness forum as well to see if there's any tips there.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Cully

thanks for replies.

I'm on a limited diet as it is so I can't really change it. I rarely drink.

I'll have to do a bit of trial and error with exercise and try some sit-ups etc. Will have a look at the fitness forum as well to see if there's any tips there.

Just to let you know... sit ups will give you strong stomach muscles but won't shift fat there... In fact... if your muscles are more defined there, it'll actually make you look fatter as that area will be sticking out more... the layer of fat above it will still be there.

If you can't change your diet, then you should incorporate more cardiovascular exercise.. It's important to find something you like doing... If not, there's too high a chance of giving up. Personally I cycle the 35 mins to work and back every day... Because it's transport and I have to do it anyway, it's a good way of sticking at it... Saves me Bus money too :)

Good Luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Cully wrote: »
    Just to let you know... sit ups will give you strong stomach muscles but won't shift fat there... In fact... if your muscles are more defined there, it'll actually make you look fatter as that area will be sticking out more... the layer of fat above it will still be there.

That's not quite true. If you tone your abdominals, for example with sit-ups, pilates, etc, you will tighten the stomach wall and reduce your girth around the stomach area.

A protruding belly is the result both of the layer of subcutaneous fat that sits on top of the abdominal muscles, and also and a slack set of stomach muscles that allow the intestines and internally deposited fat to protrude.

It's true to say that sit ups will not reduce the fat on your stomach, however they will tighten it up a little and take you down a trouser measurement! But to remove the fat, you will have to reduce your calorie intake so that you're using more than you are consuming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

Sit-ups etc are grand for maintaining/toning a flat stomach but imo aren't gonna shed your belly for ya.
    You have to go on a diet of some sort plain and simple. It's not that hard - just cut out all crap (crisps, chocolate, fried food, chinese, pizzas etc), drink plenty of water instead of fizzy drinks etc, cut out snacking. Cutting out bread can be a big help if you eat a lot of it. You can still have substantial three meals a day, just healthy choices.
    And if you're fond of the booze try drinking spirits or wine for a while rather than copious amounts of pints. That's what works for me anyhow.

I wouldnt go that route with the booze. I tried it and tended to drink more alcohol because really.....how long does a vodka last compared to a pint? This meant I was getting extra wasted on nights out and doing stupid stuff and because I was so p1ssed I'd have to chase it down with a kebab. To lose weight take in less calories that you burn off but try to take at least half of them from protein (chicken, eggs, steak, fish etc.) and unsaturated fats (nuts, olive oil, avocado etc.) the rest should be fruit and veg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭MrDaithi

Estimate what is your daily calorie spending.
    Estimate how many calories you ingest.
    If you ingest more then try to balance it, don't necessarily go into a calorie deficit diet.
    And don't go paranoid into counting everything from now on, just understand what you eat and in what proportions.

Eat more protein e.g. meat , choose lean beef, chicken, fish
    Reduce Carbohydrates e.g pasta, rice, spuds
    Reduce amount of sauce you have with any dish
    Drink more water, when you hungry and it's not time to eat... well drink a pint of water

Now what will make a difference and quickly:
    Cut any take away
    Cut the chips, pizzas
    Cut candy/chocolate bars
    Cut all sodas, even stuff like lucozade
    Cut alcohol

If you cannot cut these completely then try to reduce them considerably.

Now pain, no gain:
    Do some sport at least twice a week
    Try to use car less, and walk more around town, if you take the bus and it's not raining why not get off one or two stops away from destination.

A lot more info in fitness forum, but all I can say is stick with the basics, no need to go into a crazy diet/fitness plan or buy any miracle supplement.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭BrokenSpiral

Interval Training is one of the most effective ways to increase your resting metabolic rate and thus burn more fat!

Find a good interval plan on one of the fitness sites and give it a go, I've been doing intervals for the last month and it's working a treat!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Liberal Irishman

No getting around it. Be prepared to sweat!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Eat better. Fewer carbs, more protein.
    situps won't do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Combination of improving your diet/do more excercise!
    You cant spot reduce fat!

This is the only answer you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

No getting around it. Be prepared to sweat!

Dont bump 2 and a half year old threads just to give pointless answers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement