Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Future Project

Options
  • 04-12-2008 2:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

So, we've all heard from just about every party at this stage that one thing we need to do is attract the "high-end" jobs to Ireland, re-train the nation and get ready for the time when we leave recession behind. Of course this is made even easier by the government slashing I.T. funding in Schools by 39%...

I know in the medium to long term this issue will be addressed (starting with the INTO organised protest this Saturday to the time when the current Government gets changed) but in the short term this is an issue which the Labour branch in Wexford are going to address on a local level, with a simple, easy solution;

The Future Project over the next 3 weeks are asking all households that are replacing their computer this Christmans to donate their old equipment to us so that we in turn can redistribute it to schools. Most of the schools in Wexford town have been contacted at this stage and are interested in taking part. A full list of the participating schools will be available by the end of the week.

So, if you have any old computer that deserves a new home, let us know. If you have any other equipment that may be of use, for example a mouse, keyboards, printers, scanners, screens or even maybe an old digital camera hanging around let us know. If you would like to help but have no spare equipment, go up to Aldi and but a reem of paper to donate, costing around €2.00 - to borrow a line - every little helps.

If you are a business or know of a business that sells computers please let them know to ask customers to pass on their old equipment to us. If you collect any suitable items under the WEEE initiative let us know also.

Anyway for more information contact me John Ryan on 086 3953846.

Thanks

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭WexfordMusings

Firstly I would like to thank everyone that has donated computer equipment and all those people who have helped out so far. The first stage of collecting equipment is now nearly finished and we had a fantastic response, so much so that I ran out of storage room. I would like to thank the SIPTU offices that allowed me to use their space last week and I would like to thank the Friary who are letting me use their hall at the moment. So far the essentials I have collected are as follows:

34 Computers, 39 Monitors, 35 Keyboards & 25 Mice

And extras such as:

23 Printers, 16 Scanners & 14 sets if speakers.

We have wiped and reinstalled software on 6 computers so far and hope to have another 6 done by the end of the weekend. During the week we intend doing 3 computers every evening so by the end of next week we will hopefully have about 25 computers that can then be donated to schools in the town.

For anyone who would like to help out if you have an hour to spare some evening it would be fantastic, just give me a call. Even if you have no experience with computers, they all need a good clean and polish!

Alternatively, we will be short mice so if you have €3.99 to spare, pop over to Tesco’s and buy one of their own brand mice, or, buy a ream of paper to donate. Also, if you have upgraded the RAM on your own PC, it would be great if you could pass along your old RAM card to us to make the units we have work quicker.

Again, thanks everyone,

John Ryan
    18 Francis Street
    Wexford
    Wexford.musings.2009@gmail.com
    Tel: 086 395 3846

Advertisement