Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tayto - The Original Irish Crisps!!!!!!!

Options
  • 03-12-2008 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

I work in a supermarket and I had to fill the crisps section. While in the stockroom I saw on the box for Tayto - "tayto the original Irish Crisps". I laughed and said to myself bet they cost Irish too. Any way price wise, 28 pack of Walkers is cheaper than a 20 pack of Taytos, a 6 pack of walkers is circa €1.30 and Taytos €1.69

Whats the difference can anyone tell. BTW I know Walkers can charge a lower price as they are a larger company etc but I thought tayto would try and match them

Irish made = Irish Rip Off

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

The difference?

Walkers are nicer in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭murpheous81

Taste wise I totally agree. Walkers all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

Walkers are a much bigger company so economy of scale helps them alot.
    Generally the multipacks are smaller crisps also, usually 25g, alot of people dont know this, so check the weights also. There are also some great deals on xmas boxs of tayto in the supermarkets at the moment, I think one of them was doing 1 + 1 FREE. Thats hard to beat.
    RRP Tayto 57c, RRP walkers 48c for single bags.
    Tayto crisps taste changed completly when Largo started making them on behalf of tayto, and then they bought the company.... reminds me of an add that used to be on the TV for anyone who is old enought to remember:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

They don't even taste like real potato anymore, just like some fried flour mix... euuugh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I work in a supermarket and I had to fill the crisps section. While in the stockroom I saw on the box for Tayto - "tayto the original Irish Crisps". I laughed and said to myself bet they cost Irish too. Any way price wise, 28 pack of Walkers is cheaper than a 20 pack of Taytos, a 6 pack of walkers is circa €1.30 and Taytos €1.69

Whats the difference can anyone tell. BTW I know Walkers can charge a lower price as they are a larger company etc but I thought tayto would try and match them

What store has Walkers 6 packs at circa €1.30?
    In Dunnes they are 1.69
    In Superquinn 1.69
    In Tesco 1.99

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭murpheous81

My mistake, apologies no taytos circa €1.30, wish there was though. My whole point to the thread is that way don't taytos try to match them on price. Are they expecting us to remain patriotic and pay the higher price

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Danno wrote: »
    They don't even taste like real potato anymore, just like some fried flour mix... euuugh.

The Tayto Crisps you get now are made in the same factory in Ashbourne as Hunky Dorys so the taste is pretty much the same. The old Taytos used to be made in the Tayto factory in Coolock or the King crisps factory in Harolds Cross before C&C decided to close them down and firstly outsourced and then sold the brand to Hunky Dorys.

You can sometimes get the Northern Ireland made Taytos (no connection with the ones down here) which are in a yellow pack and taste pretty much like the original Taytos did IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 14,832 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Farmer Brown > Walkers > Tayto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

I've always been a King man myself.Although i find with all crisps the quality and taste varies alot,but with walkers they're very consistent and your guaranteed the same taste everytime imo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

joeperry wrote: »
    I've always been a King man myself.Although i find with all crisps the quality and taste varies alot,but with walkers they're very consistent and your guaranteed the same taste everytime imo :D

Yeah, King ftw!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Any way price wise, 28 pack of Walkers is cheaper than a 20 pack of Taytos, a 6 pack of walkers is circa €1.30 and Taytos €1.69

Do you know what the price per kilo is? "Pack" is not too useful a measure.

Oh, and it would only be a "rip off" if you had not been advised of the cost, or the package size was misleading. So long as you can make an informed choice you are not being ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

kleefarr wrote: »
    The difference?

Walkers are nicer in my opinion.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

I wouldn't touch a bag of Tayto as they are horrible and have an unusually high number of burnt crisps in a bag.

Walkers are much nicer (especially the cheese and onion and the BBQ flavours) and if they are cheaper, even better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

Tayto are the nicest for a sandwich with ham (when we are allowed eat it again), but the nicest crisps of all were Pub Crisps, made by Perri I think - used to be able to get them in our local but :( sadly no more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

I wouldn't defile my mouth or poison my body with Walkers - they're a substandard crisp.

Tayto Smokey Bacon is the way to go, I don't know what other flavours taste like as I've not bought them since the early 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

Walkers cheese and onion are terrible in comparison to tayto.
    Really fake tasting and ****e texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

King crisps all the way! :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Yeah none of that Walkers sh1te!

And what with their salt & vinegar being green, and cheese & onion being blue?!

Thats just messed up! Everyone knows salt & vinegar is blue.

Smacks of pepsi and their blue santa imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

tayto worchestershire sauce! a rare find but so good!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yeah none of that Walkers sh1te!

And what with their salt & vinegar being green, and cheese & onion being blue?!

Thats just messed up! Everyone knows salt & vinegar is blue.

Smacks of pepsi and their blue santa imo.

Thats because thats thats how they are in the US, well Salt & Vinegar because there is no cheese & Onion in the US. Anyway they follow the US because Walkers are also known as Lays, If you have been to the US you will have heard or seen them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭signman12

Saruman wrote: »
    Thats because thats thats how they are in the US, well Salt & Vinegar because there is no cheese & Onion in the US. Anyway they follow the US because Walkers are also known as Lays, If you have been to the US you will have heard or seen them.

I never knew that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I first noticed when i was in in the US and saw Lays that the logo was the same as walkers so i checked it out and it turned out they are the same. Sort of like when i noticed that Walmart do "George" clothing and so does Asda in the UK.. they are the same company :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

signman12 wrote: »
    I never knew that :D

Lays in Cyprus as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

dbyrne wrote: »
    Generally the multipacks are smaller crisps also, usually 25g, alot of people dont know this, so check the weights also. .

Tesco multipack, 13g

Although I think that is a good thing personally.

Advertisement