Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

talk about making it hard

Options
  • 03-12-2008 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

when i was in england over the summer i wanted to volunteer in this place. tidying up the office for some charity and that sort of stuff. nothing special basically. only 2 or 4 hours a week. the application process was freaking crazy

form->formal interview->2 hour 'get to know you session'

i think there would have been CRB checks and the like in there as well. huge levels of paranoia all around, which is fairly typical of modern British society especially after the July 7 bombing. of course i didn't bother with this. there are *real* full time jobs that require less effort to get into. are they just being paranoid or do they have a legitimate reason for this carry on?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

towel401 wrote: »
    when i was in england over the summer i wanted to volunteer in this place. tidying up the office for some charity and that sort of stuff. nothing special basically. only 2 or 4 hours a week. the application process was freaking crazy

form->formal interview->2 hour 'get to know you session'

i think there would have been CRB checks and the like in there as well. huge levels of paranoia all around, which is fairly typical of modern British society especially after the July 7 bombing. of course i didn't bother with this. there are *real* full time jobs that require less effort to get into. are they just being paranoid or do they have a legitimate reason for this carry on?

Even thow its voluntary the vetting process is becoming more common nowadays i along with every other member of the Order of Malta will be Gardai vetted soon.

Althow you where only helping out in office thats the Charitys proceedures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

is it not a bit overkill? you can usually tell fairly fast if someone is a troublemaker. and its not like i would have been the only one around the place. maybe its just me but it comes across as being a chiefly British thing.

but why would you need to be vetted? dealing with lil kiddies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Nope, not over the top at all. They can't have different rules for different people,depending on the area they are volunteering in, so is best to have the same rule for all. Garda Clearance is essential IMHO, as in some of the areas of volunteering, you could potentially encounter vulnerable people. It truly is worth the work and effort to get beyond the red tape though, so don't give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 lawstudent99

The bureaucracy of volunteering is awfully annoying but it really is worthwhile as the previous poster has said. From the charities point of view doing the right paperwork means that their ability to judge character is simply not an issue, children, vulnerable adults and confidential information are more transparently protected; and their good name has a lesser chance of coming into dispute-charities rely on goodwill etc which is a very fickle thing. They simply cannot afford to pay out if the worst happens, and take it from me, charities are very heavily audited as to where their funds are going!Please don't be put off, the benefits far exceed the burdens :)

Advertisement