Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi s3

Options
  • 03-12-2008 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Ive recently come into some cash and i very much have my heart set on an s3.Found a couple of very promising prospects in the u.k but am i wasting my time?
    The trouble is that im 22 and insurance,as always, is the major factor. The only quote i can get is from 123.ie and thats €3304.
    The only thing i can think of is staying insured on my current a3 and registering the car in my parents name. I would then have TPFT through my own policy.
    Is this a really bad idea? Or is it my only real option??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭jimboddb

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭stuckinarut

very expensive, 3200 or so..even tried less than 1 litre,over 1000...my current policy is 750 odd with axa on a 1.6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I'd keep your money until insurance becomes affordable, easier said than done I'll admit.

Even waiting 1 year will make a big difference, maybe buy a cheapish, insurable performance car in the meantime?
    Prelude, FTO, MR2 should be circa €1k to insure, ~200BHP and cheap enough to buy.

Have you tried britton insurance?

Good taste in S3 btw

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭carrollmark

I'm interested in bringing in an S3 from the UK myself.

What kind of money do you reckon you'd get one for after VRT?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

3300€ :eek:

I'm paying 1500€ on a 2.5TDI 180bhp and I thought that was bad....

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭stuckinarut

well right now 12g is my total budget and i would be looking for a fairly nice one for that, 02-03, 50 -60 miles..i think if history check worked out then 8g could get a nice one(vrt included)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

well right now 12g is my total budget and i would be looking for a fairly nice one for that, 02-03, 50 -60 miles..i think if history check worked out then 8g could get a nice one(vrt included)

I looked into one recently, an 02-03 is around £6-8k sterling, VRT is €4-6k (depending on which version of the s3 you get).

The VRT is a killer. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bo00om

Constant problems with electrics, brakes and suspension. The little tub bottomed out if you smiled at it. Funny thing is that I got tired of driving it and went back to a Type R. The S3 may have been quicker but you constantly got the feeling that it was about to fall apart, you dont get that feeling in a Honda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

bo00om wrote: »
    Constant problems with electrics, brakes and suspension. The little tub bottomed out if you smiled at it. Funny thing is that I got tired of driving it and went back to a Type R. The S3 may have been quicker but you constantly got the feeling that it was about to fall apart, you dont get that feeling in a Honda

Oo huh? Sorry but huh? I’ve been in many cars both your run of the mill everyday yokes and many of the more powerful types. If I was to be speeding around a track I know out of a Honda or Audi which I would prefer to be in and it is not the tin can from Japan. Hell my old Ibiza would be a better and safer place to be at speed than a Honda and it spanked plenty TypeR’s in its time. I’ve yet to drive a Honda with a decent set of standard breaks, I’ve yet to get into a Honda that felt a safe place to be. The Honda’s I’ve been in have all felt like a tin can, the last place I would want to be in a crash, they will keep going forever I’ll give them that but what is the point in the engine working after you have been written off in a fender bender you would have walked away from in an Audi.

I've known two S3 owners and they never had the problems your talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

McCarthy Insurance

025 - 31199

Got a fantastic renewal only last week.

EDIT: Didnt notice it was an oldish thread. My bad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Make sure your budget isn't just a one off amount. I've known mates who take out car loans and pay for the car and the insurance out of the loan (because they were right at the limit of their spending ability), and then they found it hard to pay for fuel or to come up with another €3k next year for insurance.

S3 owners, what's your experience with fuel costs & general running costs?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

AudiChris wrote: »
    Make sure your budget isn't just a one off amount. I've known mates who take out car loans and pay for the car and the insurance out of the loan (because they were right at the limit of their spending ability), and then they found it hard to pay for fuel or to come up with another €3k next year for insurance.

A recipe for financial failure. Insurance and other running costs must be made out of income, and paying for a car out of capital.

That'd be like remortgaging to pay for other lifestyle debts such as credit cards and overdrafts.

Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Exactly - I thought they were crazy too!

I don't want to see the OP fall into the same trap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

kayos wrote: »
    Oo huh? Sorry but huh? I’ve been in many cars both your run of the mill everyday yokes and many of the more powerful types. If I was to be speeding around a track I know out of a Honda or Audi which I would prefer to be in and it is not the tin can from Japan. Hell my old Ibiza would be a better and safer place to be at speed than a Honda and it spanked plenty TypeR’s in its time. I’ve yet to drive a Honda with a decent set of standard breaks, I’ve yet to get into a Honda that felt a safe place to be. The Honda’s I’ve been in have all felt like a tin can, the last place I would want to be in a crash, they will keep going forever I’ll give them that but what is the point in the engine working after you have been written off in a fender bender you would have walked away from in an Audi.

As opposed to sitting in a broken down Audi that was never rated as a great performance car by the general motoring press. That must have been some ibiza you had considering the standard car was based on a polo. Maybe your second name is Senna.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

I've known two S3 owners and they never had the problems your talking about.
    Eh what Ibiza were youy driving??? And what Type R's did you "Spank"?!

DC5 Integra Type R comes as standard with 4 pot Brembo's, they arn't decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

AudiChris wrote: »

The quoted MPG is here http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Detail.aspx?deriv=16780

I'm getting 29.5MPG at the moment and that is running on Maxol 98RON petrol. When I was running on your standard 95RON I was getting about 31.5MPG. (i do about 70% motorway driving).

There's a lot of rough S3's over in the UK, so the search for a good car at the right price may take some time.

I'd use the AA to get a full check done on any car before you even thinking of going across to look at it. I think it costs about 250 euro a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Eh what Ibiza were youy driving??? And what Type R's did you "Spank"?!

DC5 Integra Type R comes as standard with 4 pot Brembo's, they arn't decent?

Guessing it was one of those 2.0l. Rare enough, i'll see if i can find one.

What type ibiza?
    An Oettinger tuned 210BHP 256lb/ft 1.8 20VT Cupra. The mention of the 2.0L would be the 2.0 16V which was the previous Cupra model to the one I had. The Ibiza Cupra/CupraR was/is rare in Ireland.

What type r's?
    Civic's and integra's.

Dont forget the Ibiza was a WRC car back in the day...

As for 4 pot Brembo's true they are a very good setup had them myself. But some reason I still dont like the breaking in a lot of Jap cars (not just limited to Honda) and know a lot of people that agree on that. But different strokes for different folks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Dont forget the Ibiza was a WRC car back in the day...
    That was the Cordoba. The Ibiza was made into a F2 kit car of middling success.

You should know better than to wind up the Honda enthusiasts. It's only going to descend into a flurry of engine codes a Rainman-esque display of numbers.

• Advertisement

Robbo wrote: »
    That was the Cordoba. The Ibiza was made into a F2 kit car of middling success.

This is true but then again a Cordoba is an Ibiza with a boot attached :P
    Robbo wrote: »
    You should know better than to wind up the Honda enthusiasts. It's only going to descend into a flurry of engine codes a Rainman-esque display of numbers.

This is very true, nothing is faster than a pocket rocket from japan. Any way I am no longer in a position so start blabbin on about power seeing as I've retired to big comfy saloon driving.

Advertisement