Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing .smil files

Options
  • 03-12-2008 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

Is there any way to play .smil files through iTunes?

So far, I can only play them through the horrid (sob) RealPlayer, which is torture to use for work, and means a piece of work that should take minutes takes an hour.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Some information first...

http://www.w3schools.com/smil/smil_files.asp

How to try convert .SMIL to .MP3 to play with iTunes (it's not easy).

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=5416

Some less cloggy alternatives to playing .SMIL files.

GRiNS for SMIL- 2.0

SMIL Player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Thanks, Username - waiting for that *nasty* interobject page to load. The Grins Player seems to be PC-only?

No, neither of these actually seem to help. Hmm. Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Is the .smil file an audio only content ? If so then converting to mp3 may only require playing the file and intercepting with audio hijack which will route the audio to an mp3 file on your hard drive.

A free alternative is this.

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

ZENER wrote: »
    Is the .smil file an audio only content ? If so then converting to mp3 may only require playing the file and intercepting with audio hijack which will route the audio to an mp3 file on your hard drive.

A free alternative is this.

ZEN

Zen, thanks for that; I'll take a look at it.

.smil files are radio files. I have two problems - one is that they're forever buffering (which may be my Irish Broadband 'broadband' - some streams from the US give up after the first squeak because of latency, and I've tried those streams in iTunes, Radio Tuner Widget and RealPlayer).

The other is that RealPlayer is horrible. If you want to go back a second to get the beginning of a phrase someone's saying, you drag it back and it goes "loading....loading....0%...loading..." and then starts three paragraphs back.

I could play something and capture it with Audio Hijack, but that means hanging around recording things for hours at a time so I can do half an hour's work on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 OldYardLady

Did you find an easy solution to playing .smil audio files without using realplayer or having to play and re-record clip?

• Advertisement
Advertisement