Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media Servers DIY

Options
  • 03-12-2008 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hey folks,

I've just moved into a new house and I want to Basically create a whole media server environment :-)

I'm pretty techie so I think I can do it myself just looking for any other tips etc.

Ideas so far:

Use NAS (Network attached storage) to host some external hard drives as networked drives which will have all my Films etc.

Use preferably the PS3 to watch films remotely.

Im also converting the attic into a home cinema so I want to expand on it later :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

The PS3 won't cut it. You need a media server device or a HTPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭paddyred9

What type of device are we talking?

I was told the linksys KISS was decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

You need a networked device to stream from the NAS. Two families of prodcuts are well regarded TViX and NMT (Popcorn Hour, eGreat, iStar etc.). These devices do up to hidef 1080P streaming over a wired network. Wireless devices from other manufacturers do not usually do 1080P content. If you search the forums for Popcorn Hour you'll find a lot of (useful) information.

Advertisement