Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work during pregnancy

Options
  • 03-12-2008 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi all.

Just a question i have.

Is it ok to work during pregnancy, and have you been all working until 2 weeks before the the due date?

How did you feel. Was it very tiring?

My job is quite stresful, i work in property business, i like it, and would not like to go on maternity leave too early.

Would like to know your experiences

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Hiya, it's fine to work when you're pregnant as long as you are not doing a hazardous job or have any complications that can stop you working.

I worked right up till last Friday (two weeks before my due date) and I'm so glad I did, gives me more time with baby after he/she is born and lets me get the last couple of things together.

I have to say though, it's very hard... I thought I'd be grand but you get very tired in the last couple of weeks and I found that getting out of bed was the hardest part for me!! Once I got into work though everything was fine and I was all go! I work in Insurance, so not too stressful but stressful enough, it kept me going and I actually wish I could have worked right up untill the end lol..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is pretty hard tbh,I would probably go 3/4 weeks before if I made the decision again.
    I don't find the mornings hard but I am ready to sleep by lunch time.It is very tiring but I have a commute in and out which doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I run my own business and this is a quiet time of year which is good as I'm so sleepy. Can't you play it by ear and see how you get on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭bored and tired

i worked right up to my due date as well. it should be fine so long as the pregnancy is going ok, some employers make allowances such as not leaving expectant women lift anything, or giving them better chairs and desks.

If you do need to finnish early due to stress, blood pressure or other pregnancy related condition, than you can apply for pregnancy related sick leave to bring you up to the date your maternity is supposed to start,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

I was trying to do that but i was knackered.So i left 3 weeks before i was due i just couldnt stick work.You will know yourself when enough is enough.If you feel like crap and tired and cant stand being in the job then leave theres no point being more stressed not good for the baby.If you need that extra time take it as it affects everybody differently.It didnt help matters i was bloody huge and could barely walk.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭VeryBerry

All going well, I'm planning on working up to the two weeks before my due date too.

I'm not entitled to any maternity leave (contract work), and we won't be able to survive on maternity benefit so I'll be returning back to work about 6 weeks after babs is born too. Those 6 weeks off are my annual leave.
    Not ideal at all but we'll have to manage it. I'd love to be able to stay home longer, but it's not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

That's tough very berry. I work from home so will be working again within 6 weeks ( run a guesthouse) but baby will be with me and I will have help. I envy the ladies who get 6 months to stay in their pj's and bond. Heaven! Getting up at 7am to cook breakfast after a baby screeching all night could be a problem :eek: Also my husband has two jobs ( works nights a couple of nights a week) so I can't depend on him to take over when I've had no sleep. Fun times ahead!

Advertisement