Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Expenses Relief - changed in Budget 2009, does it affect claims for 2008?

Options
  • 03-12-2008 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Apologies if this question has been asked here before (I couldn't find any previous entries using Search). I have a couple of questions relating to Tax Relief for Medical Expenses. After the last budget the relief granted on Medical Expenses is changing in 2009 to the standard Tax Rate for everyone (even if you are on the higher Tax bracket).

If you have medical expenses for 2008, and submit your claim for relief after the year end of 2008 will you still be granted relief at the Higher Tax Bracket (41%) because the claim is for 2008 or will you only be granted relief at the Standard Rate (20%) because the claim is made in 2009?

Thanks in advance for all responses - because if it's that you only get Standard Rate relief, I'd better get busy applying for relief on the expenses to date!

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Hi All,

Apologies if this question has been asked here before (I couldn't find any previous entries using Search). I have a couple of questions relating to Tax Relief for Medical Expenses. After the last budget the relief granted on Medical Expenses is changing in 2009 to the standard Tax Rate for everyone (even if you are on the higher Tax bracket).

If you have medical expenses for 2008, and submit your claim for relief after the year end of 2008 will you still be granted relief at the Higher Tax Bracket (41%) because the claim is for 2008 or will you only be granted relief at the Standard Rate (20%) because the claim is made in 2009?

Thanks in advance for all responses - because if it's that you only get Standard Rate relief, I'd better get busy applying for relief on the expenses to date!

Cheers,
    Hi Fingleberries
    If you incurred your medical expenses in 2008 then the relief is granted at your highest rate of tax. The 2009 change only applies for expenses incurred from 2009 going forth. You can apply next year for 2008 and if it applies in your case you will get the 41% relief.
    Hope this helps!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Ticktactoe wrote: »
    Hi Fingleberries
    If you incurred your medical expenses in 2008 then the relief is granted at your highest rate of tax. The 2009 change only applies for expenses incurred from 2009 going forth. You can apply next year for 2008 and if it applies in your case you will get the 41% relief.
    Hope this helps!:)

Thanks very much for that, it certainly puts my mind at rest and I don't have to rush to get stuff in to the tax office before they close for Christmas :)

Advertisement