Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your best bet of 2008?

Options
  • 03-12-2008 2:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Following on from the title of this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055431986

What do you reckon the best bet you have made this year is?

**Note: By best bet, i don't mean that 7 way accer you got up at 45/1. I mean something you spotted yourself, reckoned the price was way too big, got stuck into and were proven correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Definitely has to be Phil Taylor 11/8 and some 5/4 for the World Grand Prix Darts.

My thoughts on the price from the Saturday before it started:
    Phil Taylor was available at one point at a price of 11/8, which looks crazy enough seen as he has won 6 of the last ten and we all know how his game was this time last year. There are still bits of 5/4 around, and if you can get on that you should at the very least be able to lay off for a minimal profit this time on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭Trampas

Mine is not home yet but close

NY Giants to win their division 7/2 before season started and 9/2 after week 1 even winning their first game.

They are 11-1 with 4 games left. Dallas are 2nd on 8-4.

Only a 4 horse race and defending NFL champions.

I have a €100 on it so anything bar a disaster I would be collecting Christmas week. Nice time to win a few quid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭aya14

Got Inglis Drever at 3.3(9/4) on betfair last march for world hurdle at cheltenham. Was very pleased as every one told me i was mad. oh i put 50% of my bankroll on the bet. maybe it was way too risky but nothin better than when it goes right is there.:D

as a footnote the afore mentioned horse was injured on his comeback run, so watch for his next run as he will be falsely prices imo;)

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

Arsenal kids (-1) against Wigan in the previous round of the league cup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

aya14 wrote: »
    Got Inglis Drever at 3.3(9/4) on betfair last march for world hurdle at cheltenham. Was very pleased as every one told me i was mad. oh i put 50% of my bankroll on the bet. maybe it was way too risky but nothin better than when it goes right is there.:D

as a footnote the afore mentioned horse was injured on his comeback run, so watch for his next run as he will be falsely prices imo;)

Thats if he has a next run...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭midger

I had HEAR THE ECHO backed in the Irish Grand National. 20 e/w at 33/1,collected 865 at the track. Happy days! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭thudd

David Villa top Goalscorer in the Euros at 11/1. Happy days.
    Got on Martin Laursen to score first in a UEFA cup match a few weeks ago at 20-1 too. Sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Paddy Irishman

I thought Tyrone were too big at 7/4 in the All Ireland Final and they were :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭63587614

I think my one in terms of odds was last night, Australlia at 3/1 against Barbarians star studded team.

Thought Ozzies would do it because continuity of test matches played. Only had a tenner on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Zarkava @ 7-1 for the Arc back in June.
    Fiveforthree @ 22-1 back in Chel (Betfair)

And 1 i have now is Barca for the CL next year @ 6-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Gete Wami to win the Great North Run ;)

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭midger

opr wrote: »
    Gete Wami to win the Great North Run ;)

What??,when??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,201 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Under 42.5 points in the superbowl. (Technically I layed overs on betfair)

Absolutely piled into it

• Registered Users Posts: 37,762 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

over 4.5 goals the other night in the Carling cup Man Utd vs Blackburn Rovers at 7.4 on Betfair. I knew that Blackburn would be lucky not to concede more than five and they would score at least one.

Dodge wrote: »
    Under 42.5 points in the superbowl. (Technically I layed overs on betfair)

Absolutely piled into it
    Well that was a lucky bet, not one well spotted. I didn't bet on the superbowl at all but that match was a more likely over than under on the points given. To forecast an under is just mind boggling given what had been happening with both teams prior to that game and also their meeting at the end of the regular season. I'd love to hear how you came up with that as a good bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Roy Keane to be next manager to walk, 9/1 on PP when I bet and too big!

Actually right now the singapore vs cambodia second half has just started and I fancy the over 4.5 here even though its only 1-0 right now. It should have been 6-0 at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,201 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well that was a lucky bet, not one well spotted. I didn't bet on the superbowl at all but that match was a more likely over than under on the points given. To forecast an under is just mind boggling given what had been happening with both teams prior to that game and also their meeting at the end of the regular season. I'd love to hear how you came up with that as a good bet.

Because I knew the Giants defence wouldn't allow the patriots to score 20 points. They were simply awesome in the play-offs and the previous couple of weeks had shown that if teams managed to get pressure on Brady, the high powered offence simply didn't click for NE. The end of season game was never going to be repeated in the big game.

I wrote a long explanation at the time (not sure if it was on this forum). I also laid NE for the game (traded out with a little profit on either result) and backed Osi Ominyure (sp?) for MVP (and still think he should've got it… ;) )

Can't see how you think I was lucky just because I read the game differently to you

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Im not much of a gambler but I am an avid golfer..and I backed Jimeniz, Karlson and Westwood last year in the US open. E/W quarter odds they can finish in the top 6 and they all finished top 6..i dont remember the exact starting prices but Jimenez was 125/1, Karlson was 80's and westwood was around 50's...I dont remember exactly their prices but the bookie could not believe the docket when I cashed it..friends did will to on my tips so thats nice..

I just laid off the one I gave as advice in this thread, I win 300 if the under happens and 500 if the over happens and all for 121 euros bet at half time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭aya14

eagle eye wrote: »
    I just laid off the one I gave as advice in this thread, I win 300 if the under happens and 500 if the over happens and all for 121 euros bet at half time.
    what was the score when u greened up(layed the overs)? this is something i have been looking into a lot lately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

I'll post mine to get back on topic:

I backed Usain Bolt at 10/1 wit Boyles for the mens 100 metres in the Olympics. Got it in may after he ran his 9.76 but his price hadn't come in enough, it should hve been about 2/1.

(I also backed him at 40/1 with Sportingbet after the 9.76 but that was just thievery as the company obviously didn't know he had done it)

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

First time ever in a bookies...David villa top scorer in euros at 16-1..get in there!
    Second time in 2nite..de la hoya v pacman tie at 25-1..come on baby.
    Kinda like the long odds i think!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Mine two. Decided instead of doing my usual and going mad and backing every race at Cheltenham I'd just lash into ID and Kauto Star. Biggest ever horse bet for me and I screamed myself hoarse shouting him up that hill. Always knew if he got over the last within a length of the leader he'd stay all day and win. That and I had a decent double with him and Master Minded. Definitely my gambling highlight of the year. Didn't even bother with the Gold Cup next day as I didn't wanna be greedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Alfred Dunhill Links Championship : Tournament Outright, Robert Karlsson to win @18-1

what was the score when u greened up(layed the overs)? this is something i have been looking into a lot lately
    It was 4-0 with 15 minutes remaining, its was pretty certain that they would score a fifth goal but you never know for sure, especially after the first half in which they had numerous and still managed only one. The odds plummeted after the fourth goal so I 'greened up' as you say. Love that line.:D

Advertisement