Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Codec Question.

Options
  • 03-12-2008 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭

I have an AVI file that I want to play using WMP11 but when I play it I get picture only, no sound.

I'm well aware too that something like VLC will play it fine but I'm not looking for an alternative player, I want to figure out & fix whatever CODEC is causing the issue with WMP11.

If I check the AVI file using GSpot it appears to be telling me that the correct codecs are installed (if I'm reading it correctly).

I also want to avoid (if possible) installing the likes of K-Lite or CCC as they tend to install a whole heap of codecs that you don't or may never even need.

VLC or Nero will play the file with both Video & Audio so I'm a little confused as to why WMP11 won't play audio as the correct Codecs appear to be on my system.

Any thoughts?

Am I asking for too much here :)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

http://www.autogk.me.uk/

Best codec finder I know of.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

http://www.autogk.me.uk/

Best codec finder I know of.

MC

Cheers, I totally forgot about that one ;)

I'm going to lash in ffdshow only, to see if that sorts it.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

ccc isnt to be overlooked to be honest, with it i can play everything in mp11 like quick time and real formats aswell as flv and mp4 so would definately cut down in your needs for an alternative player if you have those format videos.

for me though media player classic is the best for video, i just use mp11 for music.we each have our own preferences though.

Appreciate your input calex71 & MunsterCycling too ;)

ffdshow made no difference anyway.

WMP11 play all of the AVI's with the exception of two so maybe it's something else, dunno......

-

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

It's the audio codec that WMP11 is missing. Not the video codecs. If VLC is playing it with both audio and video then you have the audio codec on your machine but WMP11 isn't seeing it.
    Are the files Divx or Xvid?Whats the audio codec being used? according to gspot. Is it AC3? have you AC3 filter installed?

• Advertisement

newbie2 wrote: »
    It's the audio codec that WMP11 is missing. Not the video codecs. If VLC is playing it with both audio and video then you have the audio codec on your machine but WMP11 isn't seeing it.
    Are the files Divx or Xvid?Whats the audio codec being used? according to gspot. Is it AC3? have you AC3 filter installed?

Yep, it is AC3 (using CBR (constant bit rate))

I have know idea about the filter though?

Other AVI's using AC3 are playing fine in WMP11.

Even though the two problem files are legit, I'm thinking it might just be some sort of usage rights crap with WMP11 or something other than codecs....

-

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Download AC3Filter. http://ac3filter.net/project/1/releases. I'm pretty sure this will sort you're problem out. AC3 is 5.1 channel and WMP11 only knows how to decode 2 channel. AC3filter sorts this out.

newbie2 wrote: »
    Download AC3Filter. http://ac3filter.net/project/1/releases. I'm pretty sure this will sort you're problem out. AC3 is 5.1 channel and WMP11 only knows how to decode 2 channel. AC3filter sorts this out.

1st prize goes to newbie2 :D

That sorted it.

Appreciate all the help people.

Cheers :)

-

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Download klite codec pack which includes all the codecs mentioned above and more.

'The K-Lite Codec Pack has a couple of major advantages compared to other codec packs:
    - It it always up-to-date with the latest versions of the codecs.
    - It is very user-friendly and the installation is fully customizable, meaning that you can install only those components that you really want.
    - It has been very well tested, so that the package doesn't contain any conflicting codecs.
    - It is a very complete package, containing everything you need to play your movies.

There are three versions of the K-Lite Codec Pack: Basic, Standard and Full.
    K-Lite Codec Pack Basic contains only the most essential things. It contains everything you need to be able to play the most popular and widespread formats. It is small enough to fit on a single floppy. Also great for including on your movie CDs.
    K-Lite Codec Pack Standard contains everything you need to play all the commonly used formats. This package should be enough for the average user.
    K-Lite Codec Pack Full contains even more codecs. It also has encoding support for the various formats. This package is for power users and people who do their own encodings.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 CatBratTCA

I was reading about all the programs you all use....does anyone here use the Nero 9? and if so what is it like as a program?

I myself use the WinAVI to convert alot of stuff.....but tips and tricks are welcome:)

Cat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

CatBratTCA wrote: »
    I was reading about all the programs you all use....does anyone here use the Nero 9? and if so what is it like as a program?

I myself use the WinAVI to convert alot of stuff.....but tips and tricks are welcome:)

Cat

I'm sure nero is fine, but I haven't used it in quite some time. These days I use infrarecorder, which is freeware and updated regulary. It's ok for CD/DVD/ISO's, but for any fancy editing forget it.

CatBratTCA wrote: »

Cat

I use Nero 7 at present but have been using Nero 6 prior to that for years.

I skipped v8 & am doing the same with v9 purely because from v6 up it became too bloated IMO.

v6 was around for a couple of years with regular update but once they moved to v7 they started adding loads of extra features that I would probably never use. It also became a bit of a resource hog because of that.

I'm only speaking for myself here & I'm sure other users find some of the other features useful.

Overall I find Nero to be a great program & have rarely ever had any issues with it so I would recommend it for sure.

I'm aware too that it can be customized during installation to trim the fat if you want to but no more than all the Internet security programs (Norton for example) it's become a bit of a fashion thing, Nero are releasing a new version every year now since v7 & it's got to have the "YEAR" in the title so everyone rushes out to keep up with the Jonie's just to be able to say they have the latest. A bit like everyone had to have a 00 registered car, didn't they :D

Personally I think it's all a bit of a marketing gimmick really.

Most of the Nero versions to date are more than enough for most users needs.

Depending on what it is you want to achieve? there are many many programs out there for doing individual tasks too.

Rant over :D:D:D

-

Advertisement