Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance - Britton Insurance

Options
  • 03-12-2008 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭

http://www.brittoninsurance.com/

I know this company has been posted up before but I dont think people realise what good value it really is??

I was playing around with it a bit and it will just not quote me over €1155 for fully comp! Here is an example of my test taken to the extreme

Male
    License - 1month
    0 years no claims
    Ferrari Testarossa 5L
    Dublin 6

Its the same for a BMW M5 5L

Glitch? or just crazy prices??

When i put in my actual details, 2 years license, 1 year no claims, 1.4 Astra it quotes me a realistic €787.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Pretty good, 1800 for a vtec crx. Other companies would laugh.

Just wonder how they are with claims etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

^^ very bad in claims i m with them but next time no way

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

There a Bit of a Strange Company, I agree the prices are good, i was with them when i was 19 or so,after my renewal i went away for a month so didnt actually renew straight away and they sent me a letter saying, Because you have not renewed your policy straight away we have added a prem of 1000 onto your current prem of 700 euro. They are actually a Broker.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I remember being impressed with their prices before but when I read all the details,I remember being less impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i use them but then i was self employed for several years and none of the mainstream insurers could cope with me having class 3 business insurance havent had a claim tho' and i live in the same town as they are based

i went with them after i went into a hibernian office to ask if i was covered for business and to be told i was and when i rang their main phone no i was told i wasnt insured - not impressed.

and yes they are brokers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,953 ✭✭✭✭muffler

As stated they are brokers therefore their job is just to get you the cheapest quotes. Its up the people concerned to read the small print. AFAIK any insurance policy can be cancelled within 15 days I think if the person isn't happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

Linoge wrote: »
    http://www.brittoninsurance.com/
    I was playing around with it a bit and it will just not quote me over €1155 for fully comp! Here is an example of my test taken to the extreme

Male
    License - 1month
    0 years no claims
    Ferrari Testarossa 5L
    Dublin 6

Its the same for a BMW M5 5L

Dunno about that being a good deal...

Did you look at the Excess!?? €4000....

If I had a crash with an excess like that, I dunno.... Rather be written off with the car, than the die with the shock and sickness from the excess!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Did you look at the Excess!?? €4000....

That's why the quote was so cheap.
    The bigger the excess the cheaper the quote.

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Quoted me €400 more then im paying at the moment, and about €100 more then Axa were quoting when I was getting quotes left right and center.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

same happened to me. thought i was getting a quote of a grand, then they wanted another 3000 aswell on top for some reason.

dont believe it till you actually ring them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

I was with Britton when I started driving first. I was on a provisional license, no driving experience. They were the cheapest I could get, and the cost was €3000.

Three weeks after getting the policy, I passed my driving test. I had been assure that when I passed by test I would get a refund of some of the policy depending on how long was left on the policy. After passing the test I got a quote from their online system for a new policy with the exactly the same details, except with a full driving license. I think the quote was about €1800. Great I thought. I would have a full license for 49 of the 52 months of my policy so I should be getting a rebate of €800-1000 (I didn't expect the €1200ish rebate).

When I contacted them, they told were reluctant to tell me exactly how much I would get as a rebate. When pushed however, they told me I'd be getting back €200. So those three weeks on a previsional license would be costing me €1000!

I propmptly cancellled my policy with them and took out one with Hibernian (I now had a full license, so more companies would quote me). I only got disproportionately small ammount of my policy back in relation to the length left on my policy, but it worked out about even with the much cheaper policy from Hibernian.....and it had a lot to do with principal.

I'd never deal with Britton again, irregardless of how cheap they were. If you take out your policy tomorrow and don't need to contact them for 365 days you'll be OK, but God help you if you need to alter your policy or make a claim. They will break your heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Terrible quote for me. 3 X more than I am paying now.
    1700euro for a Mitsu FTO GPvR fully comp. 29 and 6 years no claims, 6 years full license.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 -Flex-

I'll throw my experience in for consideration.

Male
    Provisional License
    0 years no claims
    Skoda Fabia 1.4L
    Dublin 5
    TPF&T
    0 Excess

Can't remember the figures exactly anymore but to the nearest hundred
    It worked out at €1300 and when I became fully licensed after 3 months I was refunded about €160.

I had no hassle getting the partial refund - I sent them a copy of my certificate and a week or so later I had a cheque.

Once my premium is up for renewal I'll shop around again but for my first year driving the were the cheapest by far (vs €1600 from Axa, €2100 from Quinn, €3000 from Eagle Star)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

100gSoma wrote: »
    Terrible quote for me. 3 X more than I am paying now.
    1700euro for a Mitsu FTO GPvR fully comp. 29 and 6 years no claims, 6 years full license.

My quote has to be a glitch in system then. 26, 1 year ncb on a 5L supercar for €550 cheaper couldn't be right?

What about your other details? I put in Accountant, Dublin 6.

With regards to asking for more money afterwards, how would this work? You get a chance to accept the quote online. Surely it would be illegal to add anything after this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

1.9 Turbo Diesel Volvo V40 Sports Delux
    Year 2003, Value 15k
    4 years NCB
    Fully comprehensive with policy excess of EUR180
    Euro 340

Fecking hell......
    Whats the catch?

Advertisement