Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very windy on Thursday (west coast)

Options
  • 02-12-2008 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭

The models have been showing varying degrees of strong westerly winds for at least the southern and western coastal districts of Ireland for several days. The indications are that these winds will be felt most dramatically south of Galway and west of Cork around the coastal regions facing the Atlantic, and that they would peak at about 40-60 mph on Thursday afternoon and early evening with some higher gusts possible. There will be an earlier period of strong SW winds ahead of an occluded front, then a switch to westerly with a trough rotating around a deep low bringing this period of stronger winds late Thursday.

Some squally hail showers may develop during this wind event. Temperatures will probably peak briefly near 10-11 C and fall away to about 7 C during the strong winds. While that's rather mild for the time of year, it will feel like about -5 C in the winds, and it could snow on top of highest peaks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Are we still on for that storm around the 12th?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Could be interesting on Thursday as that secondary low develops allright, probably will be some squally showers in the mix too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I posted some updated thoughts about 12th-13th on the thread about "summer" ... I think it is still likely, often the models don't pick up on fast-moving deep lows until about day five which is still a few days away. But my research suggests that if the low misses too far to the north, then the mild spell that precedes it would be prone to turning cold through an inversion process. If mild air piles up over top of a stagnant high, as you know, it can develop a cold surface inversion at this time of year. That would be plan B for the energy level available, either a strong low across the British Isles, or if it goes too far north, a fogging up high ... either way, a colder spell would follow, I think, from a developing northerly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

You were answering my Question just as I was asking it! LOL! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Storm Forecast
    Valid: Wed 03 Dec 2008 06:00 to Thu 04 Dec 2008 06:00 UTC
    Issued: Tue 02 Dec 2008 23:36

... British Isles...

A significant cold front might become a focus for severe weather activity as the low will start to affect the area. Our region of interest will be placed under the left - exit region of the jet-streak, suggesting dry intrusion at upper levels and a pronounced divergence. This factor might strenghten upward motion and produce strongly forced rain band. More than 800 J/kg of SREH is anticipated just ahead of the front so few vortices might develop within the rainband with a risk of few tornadoes. What is more, 30 m/s flow at 850 level suggest strong potential for severe gusts, which might be enhanced by the frontal rain band circulation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

This is what I don't understand.

Forget the snow parts of Ireland could get severe flooding!

I think the met office has to forget about snow for a mo and concentrate on the major weather front arriving!

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

The front is here and the wind is roaring here several miles inland from the sea in county Kerry. It is stormy outside tonight and bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Reasonably pleasant for a storm to be honest, good amount of rain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I posted some updated thoughts about 12th-13th on the thread about "summer" ... I think it is still likely, often the models don't pick up on fast-moving deep lows until about day five which is still a few days away. But my research suggests that if the low misses too far to the north, then the mild spell that precedes it would be prone to turning cold through an inversion process. If mild air piles up over top of a stagnant high, as you know, it can develop a cold surface inversion at this time of year. That would be plan B for the energy level available, either a strong low across the British Isles, or if it goes too far north, a fogging up high ... either way, a colder spell would follow, I think, from a developing northerly.

not bad at all M.T.Cranium. There are severe gusts promised for the North and North west tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Very stormy here in killybegs today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement