Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thanks officer

Options
  • 02-12-2008 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

a friend of mine from rapidideas.com started a website for the public to leave a message for the garda siochana

http://www.thanksofficer.com/

thought it might be worth a mention. its a limerick run website

Ps: hope this does not break any spamming rules here. if it does mods can delet or move this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Posting of material purely for commercial or other self-interested purpose, without the intention of participating in the community.

I think the mods will overlook it on account of your post count.

BTW, are the posts edited prior to posting because if they are not then I would not bother ever returning to the site.

Nothing good will come of it.

Did the Gardai actually consent to their logo being used in that sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jay_haych

there is a sort of editing. its a positive website. any garda bashing posts will be deleted. any thanks posts will be left in their entirity. as far as i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Brown noser!! The Gardai are one of the most corrupt organisations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Rubberbandits

jay_haych wrote: »
    there is a sort of editing. its a positive website. any garda bashing posts will be deleted. any thanks posts will be left in their entirity. as far as i know.

Deleting abusive posts is acceptable but surely there is some room for fair and balanced criticism? Otherwise its just a fascist website that only accepts the views of those who agree with the websites creators. Surely that would furthermore damage the reputation of the Gardai? What with them being the police force of a democratic country and all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jay_haych

yeah you dont seem to be grasping the concept of the site.

anyways, if you have something nice to say. or want to say thanks, then thats the site for you. if you want to vent, go to boards.ie and talk about how you never got your stolen bike back from ardscoil ris in '95.

or ring someone and pretend to be someone else. that NEVER got old. not even after the same joke was recycled 48 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

christ, bitter much jay?

get over yourself.

anyways, if you have something nice to say. or want to say thanks, then thats the site for you. if you want to vent, go to boards.ie and talk about how you never got your stolen bike back from ardscoil ris in '95.

or ring someone and pretend to be someone else. that NEVER got old. not even after the same joke was recycled 48 times.

Good man Jay. The very fact that you interpreted an honest inquiry about the site as a personal attack kind of answers my question as to whether the site and its supporters subscribe to an ideology of dichotomous thinking that befits fascism. Think before you type bro. I will take your advice about the phone calls though and try ringing someone as myself for a change. I'm sure it will be hilarious.

Handbags. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭RINO87

absolute bollox, how is it useful if only the positive posts are shown?? it'll just swell the gardai's thick heads even more and convince themselves that they are actually doing a good job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

I think this thread and link should disapear!
    End of the day the get payed to do a job!
    No one feckin thanks me for turning up to work...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

No one feckin thanks me for turning up to work...

Thanks Punto.

I can see the reasoning behind the website, especially if someone has been helped by the guards but don't know the name of the guard who helped them. However, I think the helpful guard would probably appreciate more if the person thanked them in person or even a thank you card rather than a post on a website.

Here's the website's note on comment filtering:
    ThanksOfficer.com

Note on comment filtering

We support the freedom of speech.

We understand that people have criticisms.

However, THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SITE is to encourage An Gardai Siochana and as such
    any comment that does not meet this criteria will not be posted. Simple as that.

You can complain about censorship until the cows come home but we will not change the
    nature of this website. It is not a soapbox for everyone and anyone to leave off steam.
    There are plenty of these already on the web. The name of the site is ThanksOfficer.com
    not TellMeAStoryAboutHowYouHadARunInWithAGarda.com.

If you have nothing positive to share, go to another site.

We totally respect your right to do that.

Thanks,
    Rapid Ideas Online

Do the website creators think that the gardai need a boost, that there is low morale in the force?

I suppose there are plenty of reasons why this would be the case, when you think about the amount of time they must have to spend filing reports in proportion to the time they can spend preventing crime; when they see lenient sentences handed down to criminals they devoted much time and resources to catching; and when you consider the statistic, as said yesterday in an interview on the Pat Kenny show by Damiem McCarthy of the Garda Representative Organisation that last year, an average of two gardai were seriously assaulted a day.

McCarthy called for the use of Taser guns by uniformed members of the force to be considered in the future.

There's an interesting article on the GRA's website Garda Review about the increasing number of assaults on members of the garda. One point it makes is that members have become paranoid about using force to defend themselves when attacked: they fear the subsequent disciplinary investigation if they use force.
    Many members - I would say the vast majority - feel that their power to prevent assaults on themselves and their colleagues has been neutralised; and commonly report that they were prefer to accept an assault rather than draw their baton to defend themselves. This is a direct result of the fear and stress of a resulting investigation into their conduct. In short, it is better to do nothing than to make a mistake in the heat of a violent assault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Deleting abusive posts is acceptable but surely there is some room for fair and balanced criticism?

I agree 100% with Rubberbandits.

Filter any criticism and leave all the positive stuff. Talk about propaganda?

I propose a website www.thanks-for-nothing-officer.com just to keep the balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    I propose a website www.thanks-for-nothing-officer.com just to keep the balance.

there you go:

http://thanksfornothingofficer.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »

Balance? That website would break the scales the other way.

why "officer"....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

How did you know about my stolen bike from Ard Scoil Ris in '95. Do you have info. on it's whereabouts.
    Still looking.
    :confused:

Mod. Move this to the emergency section for the boys in blue to have a go at this thread. :D

I posted this comment on the website the other night and it wasn't accepted.

"I have met some very helpful and decent Gardai in my time who bring honour to their job. I have also met some very unhelpful, aggressive and rude Gardai who bring their personal issues to the job. This is my experience of the Gardai as an Irish citizen"

I think this exposes the underlying Ideology of the website and its my personal oppinion that such an ideology is unhealthy. It reminds me of the popular mindset that kept the Catholic Church in charge of Ireland while its victims of childhood sexual abuse were silenced. Its just not cool for a website dedicated to the police force of a democracy. Ya the guards often get a raw deal. Im friends with a couple of guards and they are gentlemen so I can understand why the websites creators feel a sense of unfairness or injustice when people tar the whole force with the same brush because of one bad experience. But then, just delete the abuse. We don't live in China lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

RINO87 wrote: »
    absolute bollox, how is it useful if only the positive posts are shown?? it'll just swell the gardai's thick heads even more and convince themselves that they are actually doing a good job.

If you wanted to post negative comments about Gardai then go look for or set up a site called go f**k yourself officer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭RINO87

If you wanted to post negative comments about Gardai then go look for or set up a site called go f**k yourself officer.

alright dude, i was a bit pissed typing that and thought it very unfair that the negative posts get deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Then you are missing the point of the site. it is to show appreciation for the work the good officers do. If you want to complain about gardai then you have the likes of message boards and the joe duffy show.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

who started this site,an off duty guard by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

whats wrong with setting up a site that praises someone. There are enough sites where people bitch about cops. If ya dont like em then dont post on the site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

It's a great idea.

I can't wait to get my www.thanks-clamper.com website off the ground.

again..officer??!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

zuroph wrote: »
    again..officer??!

You not down with the way them officers be hasslin the homies out in Weston?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

retarded idea for a site tbh

www.thanks-busdrivers-for-driving-the-bus.com will probably be next

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

A post on this site which got through the communist barrier:

"Ronnie Hendrix

Well done more guns is what i say"

Are these people for real?!? One minute they are saying less guns on the street. Why give the most organised gang in the country more guns?!?

How long has this site been live??

15 Posts kinda says to me that not many have any reason to thank the garda.

I bet the deleted posts are alot more than 15.

Also regarding the stolen bike from ard scoil circa 1995.. Was is a raleigh burner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Stab*City wrote: »

Also regarding the stolen bike from ard scoil circa 1995.. Was is a raleigh burner?

No, the burner was stolen/recovered and later went for auction. It was an emmelle if memory serves. Then again it might have been a claude butler.

Advertisement