Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've got a Concussion!

Options
  • 02-12-2008 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Well folks, figured I'd post this here. Just back from the doctor and after a fairly rough weekend turns out I have a concussion! Apparently it could take up to three weeks for the main symptoms to disappear.

Anyone ever had a concussion before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Been there, done that.

All I can remember now is the initial banging headache from falling of my bike followed by the overwhelming desire to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

I've been concussed a few times playing rugby ... the first time I was punched in the back of the head on the stroke of half time.

I knew myself I was dazed somewhat, but I thought I had things under control.

It became clear to my team mates that all was not well when I lined up to face them for the second half ... looking very confused, but resolutely standing in the same spot I was defending when the first half ended.

Another time I was concussed after a heavy tackle - taken off as a precaution and left sit on the sidelines with the subs. The subs were following the game, and I proceeded to absent-mindedly eat every single one of the half time oranges. I was popular that day.

My recollection is : Mammoth headache for several hours, difficulty concentrating for a day or so, and a strong desire for sleep ... this feeling lasted days for me ... not weeks.

If you are involved in contact sports, it's best to get professional care if you think you are or have been concussed. You might want to be careful about driving and operating heavy machinery too.

Hope you feel better soon. What happened ?

Advertisement