Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband providers

Options
  • 02-12-2008 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have broadband setup outside of urban areas?

I'm interested in the South Roscommon area in particular off the beaten track around Rahara/Curraghboy, west of Knockrockery.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

whassupp2 wrote: »

If You value your sanity You'd be better off trying elsewhere and leaving Lastmile as the last chance option. Terrible company with no value for customers.

http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/coverage
    http://www.azotel-brisknet.ie/coverage.php

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

I actually read that in another post they slated lastmile.

Doesn't say much for websites and the claims these companies make so does anyone have actual real user experience with broadband in Co.Roscommon, around the area stated?

And are all the services the local wifi type?

And are all the services the local wifi type?

Yes, You'll need "Line of Sight" to their "Access Point".
    Nothing wrong with broadband over wireless, it has less overheads than copper, in fact it has a much more efficient delivery than copper, much lower pings, perfect for gaming. Most Wireless providers provide a much higher upload than Dsl, some like Airwire provide a fully symmetrical service. As its fixed wireless it is real broadband and will always work unlike O2, Vodafone or 3 which can never be guaranteed.

ooh, line of sight is it, that could well be an issue, I guess they'd do the test before installing.
    Airwire actually say they have a transmitter only 2 miles from my location, in Moydow, Rahara, can anyone give more information on the service in this area?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

I think Brisknet have a mast at Scrine, which is near your location and also at a high point so line of sight shouldnt be an issue.

Re: Last Mile - I hadn't heard anything about them before. I just know that they are available in the area.

Thanks.
    I see their claim alright, again does anyone have experience with Birsknet or Airwire?

I've been with lastmile for two years, apart from the occasional drop (10 minutes or so) every few days, I've only experienced one period of intermittant/poor service around March this year.

That co-incided with a system upgrade.

I've been with lastmile for two years, apart from the occasional drop (10 minutes or so) every few days, I've only experienced one period of intermittant/poor service around March this year.

That co-incided with a system upgrade.

I was also a customer for long enough, couldn't wait to get shut of them. Can You run a speedtest please, anytime, off peak will do, show your getting even half of the speed they promise You and also show your ping times are good enough for gaming/Voip.

www.speedtest.net
    click to copy the forum link and paste it here

click start-> run-> type "cmd"-> then press enter-> type the following:
    ping www.boards.ie
    highlight and paste the results here

I've not been a customer since jan of this yr, I'd be very suprised if things have changed since then

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Hi,

the Moydow base is in Kilcash with view over Knockcroghery, Rahara and covers actually as far as Ballyforan.

As long as you're north of Kelly's Hill, you should have no problems.

If it turns out, that the signal isn't good enough during attempted installation, there's no charge.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire
    http://www.airwire.ie/

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I was also a customer for long enough, couldn't wait to get shut of them. Can You run a speedtest please, anytime, off peak will do, show your getting even half of the speed they promise You and also show your ping times are good enough for gaming/Voip.

www.speedtest.net
    click to copy the forum link and paste it here

click start-> run-> type "cmd"-> then press enter-> type the following:
    ping www.boards.ie
    highlight and paste the results here

I've not been a customer since jan of this yr, I'd be very suprised if things have changed since then

Here's the results of a test I carried out a couple of minutes ago
    373135552.png

PS I am in the process of moving to Eircom as they now have just enabled the local exchange. (phone + BB with one provider = much cheaper than two seperate providers)
    Lastmile can't match the price.

Here's the results of a test I carried out a couple of minutes ago
    373135552.png

PS I am in the process of moving to Eircom as they now have just enabled the local exchange. (phone + BB with one provider = much cheaper than two seperate providers)
    Lastmile can't match the price.

They've not changed then so, thats a pathetic result off peak, upload is dire and the ping should be less than quarter that figure 20-40ms if done properly (wireless has way lower pings than copper cables). Have You ever tried gaming or Voip with that connection, it just wouldn't be possible?

If your moving to Eircom, then opt for either the 1mbit or 3mbit packages as the higher ones have serious latency problems. Eircom gave everyone upgrades that their lines can't cope with and had to turn interleaving on very high to compensate, ping times hit the roof, loads of threads on the Broadband forum about it.

So again Lastmile gets no votes. I'd like to stay away from Eircom too if possible, had some bad experience with those cowboys a few years ago too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I was going to post a new thread, but i guess there is a point really. I was also very confused to where it belonged!

Any who, my girlfriend lives between Athlone and Balinasloe and her phone line has been upgraded so that she can get broadband literally in the last week or so. So if your in the area check your phone line on eircom.ie to see if you can get it.

Apparently some fella from BT came calling around yesterday offering some special deal, he was apparently also very very ignorant! I was BT in my ol lads house before he moved and it was a 2mb line and i couldnt tell the diffrence between it and my 1mb eircom line in my mams (Both in Coosan, Athlone). Also alot of other people in the area with 1mb lines had a lot of problems with them. She went for eircom in the end anyways.

Quick update, I have just installed Eircom broadband.
    I ran the speed test again, here are the results

389531025.png

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭XLR8

From experience, I'd stay well clear of last mile.

My ex is with them and she decided that she'd pay €75 a month for their business package because the speeds were crap on the package she was on.
    The download speed increased by about 200Kb and the upload speed didn't change, it stayed at about 180 Kb so I phoned them and they said they'd look into the problem. It took about 12 weeks and numerous phone calls for them to sort the problem and it berely made any difference. The best speeds I saw were about 850Kb down and around 500Kb up ... and ping times between 350 and 800 ms :eek:

I'm on O2 mobile broadband because I can't get anything else here yet.
    I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, it's a nightmare! ... It's ok though if you only want to go online between 1am and 9am... it seems to work ok then when nobody else is using it :rolleyes:

And if you can get wired BB, I guess the answer is... put all their names in a hat and pick one because no matter who you choose, you're gonna get ripped off. It's just a case of who you'd prefer to be shafted by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Eireann

I'm with Last Mile in Ballyforan and am happy enough with them. Brisknet were a waste of time. Curraghboy now have BB through the phone line with Eircom so thats handy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

Id reccomend airwire to yee if ya can get it their generaly very good and I have to say although I do expearance some nagging intermittant problems with having to reset the network adaptor (noting major)

they hold some very steady connection speeds im on the uncapped 1.5mb package which has been upgraded to 2mb/s for the same price
    well not for me yet unfortunetly ive been meaning to e-mail airwire about that:p

But as you can see below I have pretty respectable connection speeds and thats the lowest ive seen them It clocked up to 1.7mb/s couple months ago!

well thats my 2c

520816017.png

Just a small update onthe BB in the Rahara area.
    Eircom have informed me that there's a 50:50 chance that I can get broadband with them. The actually have a name for this type of possible service they call it the "Amber" line. This means that you might get very good broadband or none at all, all or nothing :eek:
    As I have no telephone line right now it would cost me 120 to find out which 50 I'm in :p and they've no other way to find out.
    Hard to believe.

I think Airwire will be getting a call unless someone else has some information for me on Eircom.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement