Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I bring a wheeled backpack or just the normal ones???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

No offence, but how the hell are random people on the internet supposed to answer that? Surely you can decide on this yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Get a wheeled one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

I traveled around Japan not too long ago with a small group of people. Before we traveled we were advised not to bring rucksacks / suitcases on wheels as they would be more of a nuisance. One couple decided to ignore the advice and take them anyway.

Nine times out of ten we had to help the chick with her crammed suitcase on wheels up and down stairs because she couldn't carry it. It became really annoying when we nearly missed our connecting trains because this couple where 5 or 10 minutes behind everyone else. In Japan the trains run ON TIME and don't wait.

My advice is pack a ruck sack with the bare minimum. Guaranteed when you get here you will probably want to pick up clothes that are in season. Capiche?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

that one in ur link you can wear on ur back, i think, so that seems fine. Sometimes u need to carry them on ur back, as mentioned in the above post. but sometimes wheeling it saves a bit of hassle. but mostly go with the ones that u can put on ur back, and as a result, you might wanna make it as light as possible.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    ...as a result, you might wanna make it as light as possible.
    The temptation with these wheelie jobs is to cram as much as possible into them because you think you will be wheeling them everywhere. They just end up being more cumbersome with you lugging about stuff you wish you never brought.

• Advertisement

Ye, they're too too low to be dragging them, and they end up hurting your back more than the backpack ones. Also, the places onver in thailand where ya think they'll be good for have really rocky surface and they bobble all over the place anyway. they're only good for airports when you're walking very short distances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

The thing I don't get about this bag is it's neither one thing or the other. It's kind of halfway between a rucksack and a suitcase.

If the intention is to carry it on your back then why the need for the wheels? (I can't even tell from the website if it is possible to carry it, is there conventional rucksack straps?)

If the intention is to wheel it, then why the whole rucksack thing? Conventional suitcases are way bigger, and easier to pack.

Considering you are traveling around for a year you are better off going with something easy to manage that is not going to leave you with a pain in the ass if you are moving about frequently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

wheelie ones are the way forward. You never actually "backpack", well I do'nt anyway, you get out of planes, into buses/taxis, to hotels/hostels, then you walk around. It's not like you go around hiking mountains etc with all your luggage on your back. The wheelie ones are more suitable today I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 outtahere

yeah i'm going to go in to the shop and try on the wheeled bag. if it seems to big on my back i won't get it, because there is going to be some times that i'm going to want to have it on my back. Some hostel don't have lift's and what happens if im on the 10 floor :eek: hopefully i will wheel it mostly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 outtahere

No offence, but how the hell are random people on the internet supposed to answer that? Surely you can decide on this yourself?

I only asked for suggestions! Some people may the experience of using thw wheeled bag or a backpack, if you didn't why bother post?

The thing I don't get about this bag is it's neither one thing or the other. It's kind of halfway between a rucksack and a suitcase.

If the intention is to carry it on your back then why the need for the wheels? (I can't even tell from the website if it is possible to carry it, is there conventional rucksack straps?)

If the intention is to wheel it, then why the whole rucksack thing? Conventional suitcases are way bigger, and easier to pack.

That site goes on about a biofit back system, so it would have regular straps.

It doesnt seem to have the extendable handle that most wheelie luggage has so ya'd be bending down trying to drag it. trust me, this is an awful lot of hassle. One of the girls with us went for this method. not only was she about 20 minutes behind us at all times, her back was killing her.

She is only about 5 foot so couldnt really carry all her huge amount of clothes she brought. So basically, only use the wheels if its hurting ur back anyway by being too heavy.....which it wont be if you dont over pack it!!! :p

Advertisement