Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request: Duty from outside the EU

Options
  • 02-12-2008 10:52am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I seem to remember a thread in here detailing a big increase in the value of goods that can be imported from outside the EU before duty is attracted. I also seem to remember that the date of implementation is the 1st of December 2008. I've a postman at the door demanding EUR50.57 in duty on something that I'd rather not pay (I'll pay it of course- and then try to reclaim it later). Does anyone have any link to the original thread- or information on the change in duty rates?

Cheers,

Shane

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Found it.
    Customs duty doesn't apply to the first EUR150 of any purchase (VAT and excise do though).

Link here.

Thanks...

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Looks like it applies for items carried into the country and not delivered by courier etc.

Changes today to EU duty-free rules

Monday, 1st December 2008 01.01pm

The EU Commission has changed the rules on duty-free imports from countries outside the European Union.

From today, people travelling from countries outside the European Union will be able to bring goods (other than alcohol, tobacco and fuel) up to a value of E430 into the EU in their luggage.

Until now the limit for these goods (electronics, perfume, toys etc.) was E175.

EU Taxation Commissioner Laszlo Kovacs said: "The new thresholds in duty-free allowances are good news for European travellers. Many of the previous rules, which have been in place since 1969, were no longer relevant to today's world. From today, citizens will benefit from a nearly doubled monetary threshold and more generously calculated limits for certain beverages when importing goods in their personal luggage into the European Union. At the same time, due to the increased monetary thresholds Member States will avoid administrative costs currently involved in collecting small amounts of import duties and taxes."

In theory someone who flies to Ireland from a country outside the EU can import 200 cigarettes, 1 litre of spirits, 4 litres of wine, 16 litres of beer and E430 of other goods (toys, perfume, electronic items etc.) duty-free. Taxes and customs duties will be applied to the value of goods exceeding those limits. However, the value of an individual item may not be split up between passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

It's €150 for importing goods.

But the Irish government may refuse to obey this directive. The Irish government have been known in the past to ignore EU law and/or try to find a loophole.

Boo

Call them on 1890 66 63 33
    Ask for Import Policy; Postal Traffic (policy aspects)

Or email:

importpolicy@revenue.ie

Boo

Thanks a mill for that- I'll definitely get onto them!

Cheers,

Shane

• Advertisement

For Appeals there is a different number

Customs Appeals; Customs Debt;
    EU Customs Audits; Own Resources; Refunds/Remission/ Recovery of Customs Duty (policy);

1890 66 63 33
    (067) 63400
    Ext. 63211

Boo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

the €150 limit only applies to goods that attract customs duty - electronic hardware etc not dvds/cds/games etc so VAT can still be applied to items over €22. the higher limit only applied from 1 December so if it arrived into the country before then the old limit would still apply.
    this €450 limit applies to goods that are brought into the country with you in your personal luggage after travelling outside the EU.
    looks like you'll have to pay up.

Rang them,

Got told they are indeed implimenting the directive. They said that you should contact the office that issued the bill directly.

She did mention that VAT can still be charged on over €22. Have not studied in detail the original regulation or this ammendment.

She said that you can contact the person I was talking to directly. I will PM you the name and direct number if you want it Shane.

Boo

dereko1969 wrote: »
    the €150 limit only applies to goods that attract customs duty - electronic hardware etc not dvds/cds/games etc so VAT can still be applied to items over €22. the higher limit only applied from 1 December so if it arrived into the country before then the old limit would still apply.
    this €450 limit applies to goods that are brought into the country with you in your personal luggage after travelling outside the EU.
    looks like you'll have to pay up.
    Why should he pay. He specified it was Duty. If it was VAT it would have had to cost €200 or so allowing or administration.

If it came into the country on Sunday he will indeed still have to pay; but from his thread it seems it was yesterday.

Boo

It is electronic components (parts for repairing a defective LCD invertor), which does attract duty.
    Its unclear when the package entered the country- which will be the deciding factor- An Post denied any knowledge of a change in rates though....... :(

I'd be grateful if you could PM me the details please Boo.

Thanks,

Shane

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote: »
    It is electronic components (parts for repairing a defective LCD invertor), which does attract duty.
    Its unclear when the package entered the country- which will be the deciding factor- An Post denied any knowledge of a change in rates though....... :(

I'd be grateful if you could PM me the details please Boo.

Thanks,

Shane
    Done

Boo

Tweaky wrote: »
    Looks like it applies for items carried into the country and not delivered by courier etc.

Changes today to EU duty-free rules

Monday, 1st December 2008 01.01pm

The EU Commission has changed the rules on duty-free imports from countries outside the European Union.

From today, people travelling from countries outside the European Union will be able to bring goods (other than alcohol, tobacco and fuel) up to a value of E430 into the EU in their luggage.

Until now the limit for these goods (electronics, perfume, toys etc.) was E175.

EU Taxation Commissioner Laszlo Kovacs said: "The new thresholds in duty-free allowances are good news for European travellers. Many of the previous rules, which have been in place since 1969, were no longer relevant to today's world. From today, citizens will benefit from a nearly doubled monetary threshold and more generously calculated limits for certain beverages when importing goods in their personal luggage into the European Union. At the same time, due to the increased monetary thresholds Member States will avoid administrative costs currently involved in collecting small amounts of import duties and taxes."

In theory someone who flies to Ireland from a country outside the EU can import 200 cigarettes, 1 litre of spirits, 4 litres of wine, 16 litres of beer and E430 of other goods (toys, perfume, electronic items etc.) duty-free. Taxes and customs duties will be applied to the value of goods exceeding those limits. However, the value of an individual item may not be split up between passengers.
    I think you are referring to COUNCIL DIRECTIVE 2007/74/EC

The OP was referring to COUNCIL REGULATION (EC) No 274/2008 which is the most recent amendment of original Council Regulation (EEC) No 918/83 which deals with imports.

Boo

Advertisement