Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Accents

Options
  • 02-12-2008 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

What do you think of them for a starter car?
    Better going for a Fiesta or something?
    Cheers.

Edit: I'll be in college next year, so I'll need something to get me from A to B.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Fiesta is a superior car in every way except that it is an older design and probably less roomie. If you want simple a to b transport then the Accent will do it but the Fiesta will also do that and more. Just make sure the Fiesta has the newer 1.25 litre engine and not the ancient 1.3 litre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Excuse my ignorance, but what 'more' does the Fiesta do? As long as both are reliable, it's good enough for me. My main concern is that I don't want to buy something in which the wheels will come off on me when I'm 'cruising' down the N11, haha.

This look good?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I've a 2001 1.6 Accent and it's my first car. Great little run around and very nice on the petrol. Don't have any complaints about it at all.

Beau x1 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but what 'more' does the Fiesta do? As long as both are reliable, it's good enough for me.

This look good?

The Fiesta is a better handling car and feels more solid on the road.

That one looks a bit tired for 47k miles and it's overpriced.

Here is a better one:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1070357

3 years older and 13k more miles on it, seems good. Another concern I have is that, I'm not sure how long the car will last until. I'm not sure how many miles I'd be doing a year, but would prob only need the car to last me 4 years and I'd use it moderately - maybe some weekdays and weekends.

Cheers by the way, I appreciate it.

Thanks Xavi for the input on the Accent as well :)
    How many miles did yours have when you got it?

• Advertisement

Thanks Xavi for the input on the Accent as well :)
    How many miles did yours have when you got it?

Hmmmm well I bought it late 2007 and it had about 140,000kms on it. Got it cheaper cause of that.

Interesting, did you have to put in a lot of work to keep her running?

Was looking at this (below my budget of €2000, 93,000 km/58k miles) earlier - although not sure about it. Something tells me it's dodgy haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭geurrp the yard

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Fiesta is a better handling car and feels more solid on the road.

That one looks a bit tired for 47k miles and it's overpriced.

Here is a better one:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1070357

As mentioned above the only problems i have with the accent it is that you dont feel 100% safe in it. Like if every driving on the motorway at 100-120kph the car would rattle and shake and the engine would be quite noisy. Other than that the accent is a grand first car but Id personally go for the fiesta.

Most cars if looked after properly will last well over 100k miles, thing is though alot of cars are not properly maintained and end up having a shorter life span. So try and find one with a service history.

Just noticed that the example I showed you is a "sold as seen" car which means it comes with no warranty so you have no comeback once you buy it, same as a private sale basically. It would be imperative that a mechanic inspect the car before buying.

Interesting, did you have to put in a lot of work to keep her running?

I've had one minor service and one full one done in a year so not a lot of work. No reliability problems so far.
    As mentioned above the only problems i have with the accent it is that you dont feel 100% safe in it. Like if every driving on the motorway at 100-120kph the car would rattle and shake and the engine would be quite noisy. Other than that the accent is a grand first car but Id personally go for the fiesta.

Mine has a small bit of engine noise at that speed but I've never experienced any rattling or shaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Where are you based and where do you intend on going to college??

That'll tell for sure if either car is what you need, as opposed to want.

Advertisement