Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

who refurbs/rebuilds brake calipers?

Options
  • 01-12-2008 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I'm looking for someone who can rebuild/refurbish a brake caliper.

Its off an import 1989 toyota landcruiser and think its a common caliper to some landcrusiers that were available in UK/Ireland. It has 4 pistons.(i dont have the air tools nor a workshop selection of o-rings).

Any recommendations?

thanks
    Tonka

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Forget the refurb, buy replacements, your local factor is the best starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Factory refurbished calipers are available through Toyota, you give them your old unit and some cash and they give you a rebuilt one.
    AFAIK all parts are available through Toyota, even imports as long as you can supply a chassis number.
    I also know that some english toyota parts dealers have refurb units available, I think cheaptoyotaparts.co.uk had some from memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Tonka

Ive sent my caliper off to www.biggred.co.uk , I'll post the before and after pics when i get it back.

Reading the manual i have, it instructed me to remove the caliper from the car and connect it to an air supply to blow the piston out. A friend who done this before -a supposedly qualified mechanic- shat himself when he blew his pistons across the garage doing this, hahaha.

I will probably do my own calipers next time i need to. i hear you can buy seal kits and now realise if i just remove the caliper from the disk, put a 16mm block of wood in the space the disk should take up and pump on the brake pedal the pistons pop out.

Advertisement