Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish & Chips in Oz Vs Ireland

Options
  • 30-11-2008 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

So this evening I stopped by my local fish and chip store to pick up some fish and chips. I ordered the usual flake and minimum chips and headed home to devour. The fish was tasty but a bit on the small side. The chips although plentiful were a bit dry.

As I tucked in I started to cast my mind back to many a satisfying late night serve of fish and chips ordered in one of the Italian Roma or Macari restaurants dotted around Dublin or in Leo Burdocks after a few swifties in the city. Even the dodgy places I used to frequent in London seemed to have superior fish and chips. By that I mean good fat chips soaked in vinegar and a really nice piece of cod or haddock in yummy batter.

Which do you prefer (and what do you miss the most) .. the Australian variety of fish and minimum chips or the famous Irish one and one as my old man used to refer to it with batter burger/sausage and onion rings thrown in?

Which do you prefer? 8 votes

Bag o' chips and battered fish Irish style
    0% 0 votes
    Flake and minimum chips Aussie style
    62% 5 votes
    Neither
    37% 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Well, in NZ a lot of chippers use frozen mccains chips. I find it so annoying. I could cook them. They really don't taste the same as proper chipper chips.

We found a chipper one day that cooks chips from chopped potates and the difference is huge. We go out of our way to go to that chipper now.

/drools thinking of chips

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

can't speak for oz, and can't speak for fish... but chips in new zealand do have a tendency towards being fantastic. i get them here a hell of a lot more often than i did in ireland. and they're cheaper too! even factoring in the conversion rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Thanks guys. I meant to add that this is open to our kiwi cousins btw :)

I would imagine that the fush and chups are pretty similar over in NZ even tho' the SOUND totally different. Sorry couldn't resist :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

hehe, i love especially how so many of the chippers (i refuse to call them chippies) actually use vaguely healthier oil, and cook the chips separate to the fish AND not to mention the extended menu compared to back home... *nomdrool*

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Irish chips, Aussie fish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Xavi6 wrote: »

+1

Since I came to Aus, I absolutely adore Calamari, or salt & pepper squid!
    But grilled barramundi is just mmmmmmmmmm

But chips are pretty dire over here

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Without a doubt there is a much better selection of fish here but I reckon it is the chips which maketh the meal and err maybe some mushy peas thrown in :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

/drools at thought of mushy peas

I wonder do they exist in NZ? Must look in the supermarket next time we make a visit.

watna wrote: »
    /drools at thought of mushy peas

I wonder do they exist in NZ? Must look in the supermarket next time we make a visit.
    They have to be like the ones you get in fish and chipperies in Engerland. You know the ones that glow in the dark :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

can't speak for oz, and can't speak for fish... but chips in new zealand do have a tendency towards being fantastic. i get them here a hell of a lot more often than i did in ireland. and they're cheaper too! even factoring in the conversion rate!

Oi bro! Say et right.. Its fush eh.

*grebs beer frum chully bun*

• Advertisement

Jumpy wrote: »
    Oi bro! Say et right.. Its fush eh.

*grebs beer frum chully bun*
    Funny as :D

Advertisement