Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

corals

Options
  • 30-11-2008 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello everybody. From last few weeks I was searching carboniferous limestone. I found many brachiopods , some gastropods and corals. Last group isn't easy to classify. I'd like to ask you for correction.
    1a and 1b:Corals are 11 cm high and about 1 cm diameter.
    2a and 2b: Probably Siphonodendron sp. 5-6 mm diameter.
    3 : Syringopora 2mm diameter.
    4a and 4b: ? diameter 15 mm and 55 mm long.
    5a and 5b: Siphonophyllia or Caninia 95mm long and 50 mm diameter.
    6: Lithostrotion sp. ? 5mm diameter
    7: Alveolites sp. diameter 1/4 mm pores
    8: Lithostrotion sp. 10mm diameter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 achwirot

Next photos

• Registered Users Posts: 7 achwirot

and next

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

It is difficult for me to help you identify those corals as the pictures aren't clear enough to check features such as the columella, the number of septa, tabularium diameter, etc. However, this identification key that might be of some use to you, it relates specifically to Carboniferous Siphonodendroid and Lithostrotionid corals.

Unfortunately, it would not upload for some reason, so I will put it in another post

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Ok I'm sorry that the formatting is all over the place, but you get the idea

Key for identification of selected Carboniferous Siphonodendroid and Lithostrotionid corals

1. Corallum fasciculate (open branching) .................................................................................... 2
    Corallum massive and cerioid (ie. A dividing wall between individual corallites) .................. 13

2. Columella (central axial stem-like support structure) present ................................................ 3
    Columella absent (axis empty or with weak axial column) ...................................................... 9

3. Dissepiments absent ......................................................................... Siphonodendron junceum
    Dissepiments present ............................................................................................................... 4

4. Dissepiments in a single row .................................................................................................... 5
    Dissepiments in many rows (>1) .............................................................................................. 6

5. 17-19 septa (of both orders) ...................................................... Siphonodendron pauciradiale
    20-26 septa (of both orders) ............................................................ Siphonodendron irregular

6. 20-26 septa (of both orders) ..................................................... Siphonodendron intermedium
    27-28 septa (of both orders) .............................................................. Siphonodendron martini
    29-36 septa (of both orders) .................................................................................................... 7

7. Increase in colony by lateral budding only ............................................................................... 8
    Increase in colony by lateral and calicular budding ............................... Siphonodendron affine

8. Tabularium diameter about 8mm ........................................................ Siphonodendron sociale
    Tabularium diameter about 12mm ......................................................... Siphonodendron sp.n.B

9. Axis empty (‘diphyphylloid’ group of Siphonodendron) ......................................................... 10
    Weak axial column .......................................................................... Siphonodendron edmondsi

10. Dissepiments in a single row .................................................................................................. 11
    Dissepiments in many rows (>1) ............................................................................................ 12

11. Majority of corallites with <20 septa ................................................... Siphonodendron gracile
    Majority of corallites with >20 septa .......................................... Siphonodendron fasciculatum

12. Majority of corallites with <26 septa ............................................... Siphonodendron furcatum
    Majority of corallites with >26 septa ............................................ Siphonodendron concinnum

13. 12-14 septa of both orders, tabularium diameter about 1.5mm ... Lithostrotion maccoyanum
    14-18 septa of both orders, tabularium diameter about 2.5mm .......... Lithostrotion decipiens
    20-24 septa of both orders, tabularium diameter about 4.25mm ......... Lithostrotion vorticale
    26-28 septa of both orders, tabularium diameter about 6mm .............. Lithostrotion araneum

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Does 4a not look like calamites?

Shows what i know!

But looks similar!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd say 5a/b is Caninia. I've a few of them collected when i was a kid. Some of them look like they fell over in the curent and started to grow in diff directions. One I have is nearly a foot long. some of the other look like Lithostrotion to me anyway. 7 looks like a bryazoan(sp)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement