Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Singapore

Options
  • 29-11-2008 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

In light of the current financial & employment (or lack thereof) situation, I'm looking into the possibility of seeking employment in and moving to Singapore. Given its location & proximity to most of SE Asia I thought it might be a good, different & interesting option.

Just wondering if anyone has already looked into this or even done it and if so had any recommendations on sources of info or knew what the story is re. working visas, or simply had any general information they could share. Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭buccsboyo

Singapore is a good place to work. Worked with a guy who moved out there a few years ago and is still out there and loves it. Visited there earlier in the year myself and thought it was a lovely city. The population is split about 2/3 Chinese and 1/3 Indian or Malay but it is very easy for foreigners to live there with many multinationals base out there. There is a big Irish expat community there as well check out www.irishbusinessassociation.com or www.igas.org.sg

The one thing I found about it though is it is a city state and Malaysia and Indonesia have some amazing scenery,beaches and wildlife but they are different cultures and have different values to us. I just felt that it may be a bit of a cocoon for a Westerner like Hong Kong or Dubai.

But maybe you wouldn't mind this for a while.It would be a break from a country where our values seem to be based around hollow materialism and where alcohol and drugs masquerades the nations insecurity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The heat/humidity is pretty insufferable. I was only there a few days maybe you'd get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Living in KL at the moment, so may be of some use.

Singapore is a spotlessly clean benevolant dictatorship (just like boards ;-0 ), somewhat 'diluted' version of SE Asia. ... SE Asia light. It can be 'cocoon' like but its got an excellent standard of living and is far less of a culture shock than other SE Asia destinations. Thats not to say I don't like it ... I love it ... its a welcome escape from its grimier cousin KL. Great nightlife (albeit expensive at times), lots of pockets of colour and flair - Little India, Arab Street, Chinatown, amazing cuisine, public transport is near perfection.

It has not escaped the downturn and 'retrenchment' (redundancies) are happening albeit my knowledge of the market there is cursory. You will (depending on your skillset) be competing with excellent local talent.

Job sites: http://sg.jobstreet.com/ .. Google ...!
    Visa info: http://www.ica.gov.sg/index.aspx, http://www.mom.gov.sg/

Good luck!

Advertisement