Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Australian accent? / Kiwi accents..

Options
  • 29-11-2008 8:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

2 points:

1. Irsih American accents are extremely well known and easy to pick up perhaps world famous from Hollywood movies particularly Irish AMerican Bostnians and New Yorkers...

Is there an Ozzie equivilent ? I have not come across one, and I dont mean people wo have just picked up an Ozzie accent on top or their own after being here a while. There is defintiely the Ozzie / Greek - Italian type accent and even the old school "good show old chap" Colonial accent in older generations....

2. The Kiwi accent, how on earth have they developed theit vowels in such a unique way, I found it most striking when I was there and hard the news being read and the politicians talking this way confriming it is across the boatrd and not of a certain social standing its so odd.

Any theories or better still reall answers much appreciated, I have an odd fascinations with accents and being able to pick them.....

cheers
    DM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

There is an Aussie/Irish accent. Both my uncles have it and it sounds fucked up. It's mostly Aussie but certain words are pronounced flatter than others in a thick Dublin brogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I dont know what I have, Aussies think I am Irish, Irish think I am Aussie.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭La La

my dad's an aussie so when i was growing up i had a weirdo accent. now i'm grown, my accent's still a bit all over the place but i've retained many aussie-isms; i say heaps all the time and when something angers me, it 'gives me the s**ts'

the kiwi accent is the best. they say things like 'riprisintatuv' instead of representative.

love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

The I and E is always mixed up in NZ.

Pen and Pin, Ten and Tin. Argh, they sound the same.

Can't moan too much. Hardly notice the accent anymore.
    I really notice how strong the Irish accent is when I call home or meet randomers that have just flown over.
    Makes me wonder if I'm losing my accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i know im losing my accent, slowly, but all it takes is an irish film/phonecall/spontaneous meeting with someone for it to come back full force. most people can't place where im from at all, now (which is very different to nobody being able to understand what i said when i first moved over), except for when ive had a few drinks, and they suddenly dont know how it wasnt more obvious before :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Flairpinnedme

listen to jim stynes if you want to hear a proper irish aussie accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Treora

Rabies wrote: »
    The I and E is always mixed up in NZ.

Pen and Pin, Ten and Tin. Argh, they sound the same.

Can't moan too much. Hardly notice the accent anymore.
    I really notice how strong the Irish accent is when I call home or meet randomers that have just flown over.
    Makes me wonder if I'm losing my accent.

With good reason. NZ has a strong .it accent. Fleeing after both WW's a > e & e> i. This is especially true in the coffee culture in southern north island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

OP Im not normally one of the grammar fools but seriously ,what ya trying to say. Oh christ I am after turning into one of them grammar fools

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Seany Biker: may be a few commas mssing in the 1st paragraph, now I read it again, but others seemed to understand it...in short....for your benefit.....

1. Irsih American accents are extremely well known...................Is there an Ozzie equivilent ?

2. The Kiwi accent, how on earth have they developed it, vowels "spoken"* in such a unique way,...........

Any theories or better still reall answers...........

* yes I left this perhaps critical word out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

listen to jim stynes if you want to hear a proper irish aussie accent.

Just googled him, never heard of him, interesting guy.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=teUZUAAgzIA

This piss take seems to think he has some form of American / Nordie accent..........whats it all about ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,844 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

1. Irsih American accents are extremely well known and easy to pick up perhaps world famous from Hollywood movies particularly Irish AMerican Bostnians and New Yorkers...
    /QUOTE]

I'm confused: How can there be, when there is no one "Irish" accent?

2. The Kiwi accent, how on earth have they developed theit vowels in such a unique way, I found it most striking when I was there and hard the news being read and the politicians talking this way confriming it is across the boatrd and not of a certain social standing its so odd.

Any theories or better still reall answers much appreciated, I have an odd fascinations with accents and being able to pick them.....
    /QUOTE]

In short, similar to Australia, but with Maori + Scottish influences.

For details, go to the library and look up various books by Janet Holmes.

FWIW: I'm kiwi. The Irish think I'm Australian. The Eastern Europeans think I'm Irish. So do the American tourists. The Africans kind of get that I'm not from around here, but have no idea where I might be from. I haven't talked to anyone from home for a while, but am worried what they'll say about my accent when I do, I've now got to the point where some conversations here (in Ireland) sound "normal" ie with no accent :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

the kiwi accent is my least favourite thing about the country , love the place apart from that , must go back for a visit some time soon

thier was a kiwi newsreader over here in ireland on tv 3 a few years ago , she used to call the leader of the labour party at the time , PET RABBIT

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

well look at hamish mckay, and how pulp sport pull some prank on him every week... what gets me is how they manage to make 'mckay-ver' rhyme with 'mcguiver'!

Advertisement