Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory spikes

Options
  • 28-11-2008 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

I keep getting memory spikes.

I've 4GB of RAM, and currently, I only have Firefox open, and only 600MB RAM left. What is using all my RAM?? This happens a good bit every now and again. There seems to be no pattern to what is causing it.

I'm using Vista, which uses 1.5gigs lying idle but that's another matter.

Anyway...currently, with only 600MB free, there aren't any unusual processes. 86 in all, with the most resource intense being dwm.exe at 57,340kb. the only other 3 big ones are firefox, win exp and sidebar.exe at 51,000, 29,000 and 15,000 respectively. Nothing unusual in my services either.

Spyware scans throw up nothing. If I shut everything down right now, just lef the desktop idle, the used ram would not be released unless I reboot.

So what is hogging my RAM?? any ideas?? thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'm guessing it's cached stuff, so it's not really "in use" as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Khannie wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's cached stuff, so it's not really "in use" as such.

right. so how do i resolve this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Vista's "optimizing" your computer's performance!

Do you use Firefox?

I remember there was a pretty bad memory leak problem with Firefox only recently. Ate up loads of RAM (like 100s of MB)... Some of those firefox extensions are badly designed too.

You should try Linux! I'm using 8% of my 4 gig footprint and firefox is using most of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

right. so how do i resolve this??

Try CCleaner, remove as many start-up progs as possible and fix and registry conflicts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Cantab. wrote: »
    Try CCleaner, remove as many start-up progs as possible and fix and registry conflicts.
    Won't really matter, Vista is designed to cache stuff anyway. RAM sitting idle isn't much use to anyone, and the OS can quickly enough free up stuff that isn't be used actively. Vista caches frequently used applications to enhance their loading times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

what exactly is the problem? Vista is a memory sink, that's what it does. Does it affect your performance?

Cantab. wrote: »
    Vista's "optimizing" your computer's performance!

Do you use Firefox?

I remember there was a pretty bad memory leak problem with Firefox only recently. Ate up loads of RAM (like 100s of MB)... Some of those firefox extensions are badly designed too.

You should try Linux! I'm using 8% of my 4 gig footprint and firefox is using most of that.

i had noticed some problems with Firefox all right - could be that. As for Linux, I use Ubuntu and Solaris on this machine as well, but only for college work etc etc. Normal everyday stuff, and gaming, I prefer Windows, and don't want to have to install XP as I've just gotten Vista the way I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Try vanilla-firefox: get rid of the extensions, and see if it helps. But it does just sound like Vista Superfetching to me.

i've identified the problem as Azeurus / Vuze. It's causing a memory leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

i've identified the problem as Azeurus / Vuze. It's causing a memory leak.

Check if there us an updated version. If not try using utorrent. ive been using it for ages and no issues.

if you want to stick with your current version of azureus you can use http://www.brothersoft.com/ram-defrag-17272.html

this program basically goes through your ram and reorganises it. it should recover the lost ram through the memory leak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

cance wrote: »
    what exactly is the problem? Vista is a memory sink, that's what it does. Does it affect your performance?

I'm sure his girlfriend would have said something.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

any advantages between bittorrent clients or are they all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Overheal wrote: »
    any advantages between bittorrent clients or are they all the same

Tbh, on Windows I have yet to see a bit-torrent client that doesn't memory leak or blow the tcp/ip stack on a Windows machine. The differences between them in speed is hard to judge as bit-torrent in itself is controlled mainly by the trackers. My favourite at the moment is u-torrent as its the best I have seen so far for no crashing.

My linux machine in work has been up for 5 months running Vuze constantly. Funny that. It was a Windows machine before that, I had to remote desktop into it over the weekend to check it and reboot the OS when the program crashed.

Advertisement