Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is K the same as kB?

Options
  • 28-11-2008 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

When looking at Windows task manager, the amount of memory being used by a process is denoted with K. Is this kilobytes? And if so, why is it a capitol K rather than kb?

edit: actually come to think of it this should probably be in the windows forum. sorry to mods, feel free to move.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

K is the SI meansurement for Kilo, so it's probably just shorthand. It's fair to assume that when dealing with computers, the -byte part is assumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭quaidox

it stands for kilobytes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

the K is kilo upper or lower case doesnt matter, its not like where b is bit and B is byte
    and as far as I know in the windows task manager its in KB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I'll be honest. I wasn't arsed reading it myself, but it looks interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

cool cool. just wanted to know if it was infact KB. never seen it as K before. thanks all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement