Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Wheels

Options
  • 28-11-2008 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi,

Im looking to get a new set of wheels for my road bike, i am thinking of spending about €250. Reason for getting a new set is i damaged mw front wheel in a fall and it seems better value to get a set. The current wheels i have are entry level shimano, so im looking to get some better wheels. I have never purchased wheels before so im not sure what i should be looking for other than weight.

Doe anybody have any recommendation or advice on what i should be looking for.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Best Price/Performance/Looks are Fulcrum Racing 3 -395 is a bit above your budget, but a great wheel (use them myself). Their Racing 5 and Racing 7 at 195 and 145 are also good value for money.

Possibly best close to your budget are the Mavic Ksyrium Equipe at 270

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

You can get a set of 2006 Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheels from CRC for ~200 euro.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=12863

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

penexpers wrote: »
    You can get a set of 2006 Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheels from CRC for ~200 euro.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=12863

If you don't mind a black rear and silver front wheel :)

Good price though

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

As the lads said, Mavic and Fulcrum both make decent entry level wheels and they seem to get better feedback than Shimano. Campagnolo also make very good wheels (they own Fulcrum by the way). Mavic Aksium, the Kyrsirum Equipes or Fulcrum Racing 7 or 5 are probably all within your price range. Campag have the Khamsin, Vento or Sirocco at entry level.

Yes weight is a factor, but reliability is even more important. Wheels take a lot of abuse on Irish roads and there's no point having something light if it breaks on the first pothole.

Another option is pricing up a pair of handbuilts. Open pro rims with Shimano hubs are pretty popular and you might get that within your price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

My bike came with Fulcrum 7s. They're fine.

The upside of a cheaper wheel is that you don't feel guilty over every pothole.

Really want some HED Ardennes though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I paid €250 for a pair of Open Pros on Ultegra hubs from Joe Daly's. 32 spoke front and rear. They are very smooth rolling and weigh in at 1,800g without skewers (actual weight on my scales, so probably equivalent to an "advertised" 1,700g :D).

The Aksiums are good wheels too and look more flash though. I am in two minds over whether to sell mine or keep them and use them for the winter. They have very little use as I replaced with DT Swiss RR 1450 soon after getting the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

I've Fulcrum 5 which came with the bike - havn't had a bit of bother with them after 2 years and got knows I've put them through some abuse...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26437

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Funkyzeit wrote: »
    I've Fulcrum 5 which came with the bike - havn't had a bit of bother with them after 2 years and got knows I've put them through some abuse...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26437

Those are the MTB wheels, he probably wants these :)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26457

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

jeez, stop recommending factory built wheels... they re awful.

as stated a few posts up mavic open pro rims, ultegra hubs and stainless steel double butted spokes. 32h is great or 36h for the bigger rider / massive miles !!!

far far better than any wheel that comes close to that price !!!

light durable reliable.

again mavic cxp 22 or cxp 33 rims are also very good.. the hub is the most important part i feel so try get high end eg ultegra standard as it really makes a difference

independent bike shops will get them built for you... humphreys in finglas, dalys in dundrum etc

i ve raced on fulcrum 1s and 3s... not bad but youre paying for the name. not the quality, they re made by campag. hub issues with fulcrums also.

shimano factory build below ultegra level will last no more than a year and then you d be better investing again as parts ie hubs are most expensive bit.....

dave

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

I have a pair of Shimano wh5600 with 105 hubs which are sound for the price.

• Advertisement
Advertisement