Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing in Dun Laoghaire/Colimore

Options
  • 28-11-2008 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hello,

I was wondering does anybody have any advice on what to fish for in The Dun Laoghaire and Colimore areas at the moment. I have only ever caught Mackerel or Pollack. I am relatively new to sea fishing and any advice would be greatly appreciated, Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

you can try the piers for whiting and dogs in the evening,, and if your lucky you could get the odd codling,,,,,,, best baits here would be lug and mackeral,,

collimore would be best fished on a small tide as the run here can be unbarable , but this place will def throw up a few dif species from whiting to codling, rockling, dogs, you can also try for conger just down the wall,,only prob here is more than likely there will be pleanty of seals in the harbour at night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 BUCK_HENDERSHOT

Cheers, will give it a bash, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

I had an absolute nightmare in Colliemore last week. The rip will just drag your tackle down towards the island. Making bite detection difficult and making snagging a nightmare. I repeatedly vow never to fish there again and again then I find myself in the same frustrating position (glutton for punishment). I got some bites but blanked. Nolans park further down is alot better but I don't fancy clambering down the rocks by myself at this time of year. I had a variety of bait but no joy. I don't know if there is actually much fish in the area at this time of year. The week before I got one whiting at Nolans and the week before I got 7 whiting. The doggies that usual yplague the area seem to be gone and theres not much pollock about. I have to go back to the drawing board on this one. I might try the west pier in Dun Laoighre I heard there's still little wrasse about and at least I wont lose so much tackle and hair! Had a blank in Bray Harbour on Saturday crabs were on my bait in seconds then they were pretending to be fish and enjoying a free trip on my line to the top of the pier! Time and time again people have recomended Killiney Beech, that seems to be where the fishing is happening in hte area at the moment.

I have had exactly the same experience in Colliemore the last few times I've fished there. Ive lost a lot of weights and feathers due to the conditions. Do you mind telling me what bait do you use to catch Whiting? I've never caught one.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭wayne riley

buck, whiting are suicidal fish and are around the east coast in plage proportions this yr. you can catch them on any bait and any size of bait.
    only las wk i got tired of catching whiting i decided 2 put a big hook on and 3 big fat lug. i still got a whiting no bigger than 20cm:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

id say you could even try a sausage and catch whiting:eek::eek::cool:

• Advertisement

Forgive my ignorance, I am still a mere beginner in this fishing game but hoping to learn more with a little luck. I will try using some Hick's sausages for bait on my next fishing venture.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭wayne riley

Forgive my ignorance, I am still a mere beginner in this fishing game but hoping to learn more with a little luck. I will try using some Hick's sausages for bait on my next fishing venture.:D

sorry buck if i seemed smart, im still a learner myself. if u want i can pm you a few spots and what 2 use on venues.
    ps i hope u hav a car as some of venues u`ll need 1 2 get 2.

and by the way i find dennys the best :);)

No, worries man its cool. I'd have to disagree on your sausage selection, Tesco finest have an excellent meat percentage content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Ryanzo

Dogfish are fairly abundant in dunlaoighre, however, our eastern european visitors seem to take pleasure in murdering every one of these fighting fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

fighting fish.

You obviously haven't caught many Doggies, Dogfish don't really fight and are like pulling in a clump of weed although I do have a soft spot for them and have saved many a blank :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

You obviously haven't caught many Doggies, Dogfish don't really fight and are like pulling in a clump of weed although I do have a soft spot for them and have saved many a blank :D

ive def had a few dogs fight in the past,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Ryanzo

They are deadly fighters for dunlaoighre!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

On light tackle Ive had some great fights with Doggies, Some just curl up though maybe they knnow they'll be faster out and back in the water.

Advertisement