Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google maps for cyclists?

Options
  • 28-11-2008 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

Petition here to get google maps to add features for cyclists!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

Petition here to get google maps to add features for cyclists!

petition signed....thxs for the notice TinyE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

smithslist wrote: »
    petition signed....thxs for the notice TinyE

No problemo!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

How long would it be between Google Maps implementing the feature and bike forums being full of posts along the line of
    fcuking google maps! they told me that road x was a good road but I was nearly mowed down by a bus because the cycle lane had a tree in it and I had to cycle on the road. good job I was/wasn't[delete as appropriate] wearing a helmet otherwise I'd be dead now. If I had/hadn't[delete as appropriate] gone through a red light earlier on my journey it would have been worse

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Google Maps walking directions work quite well for cyclists I find, certainly out in the countryside. They tend to emphasise short distance and avoiding main roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭buffalo

http://www.opencyclemap.org/

Although the data isn't great in Ireland so far, if anyone on here has a GPS receiver, they can help make it better.

An open source community effort (deriving from http://www.openstreetmap.org/) to map all the cycle lanes. Worth a look at places like Oxford or Rotterdam to see what the end result can bring.

• Advertisement
Advertisement