Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problems with citroen xsara?

Options
  • 28-11-2008 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I recently bought a 1999 citroen xsara 1.8 vts. The engine seems to be running perfectly. however on two occasions after driving for a while and then stopping ive left the car for a few minutes and then when i try to start it again, it loses power unless i rev it. Once i keep up the revs it drives fine, however for a minute or two it will cut out when i stop reving it... then it seems to be fine after that....

It has 60000 miles so i think it may need a new timing belt? Does anyone know of any other issues that might cause this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

No answers, just a free bump! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

get a new timing belt pronto and a good sevice for it.

it could be that it didnt get enough TLC and could be the oil

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd recommend getting a new timing belt fitted but it's not contributing to your problem.

Your problem may be down a lack of intake air preheating. Basically, when the weather is cold the intake air is drawn over the exhaust to heat it - if it isn't heated, moisture in the air will freeze causing the engine to stall/loose power at low revs. Have your preheating looked at first and take things from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭rufio306

have a look at the stepper motor (idle control valve) if you can locate it and clean with carb spray or similar it should help, do the same with the throttle body

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 benja

thanks everyone.. will look at all of that!

• Advertisement
Advertisement