Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NIC Card:

Options
  • 28-11-2008 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭

I have an annoying issue & I'm beginning to think it's network or NIC card related.

Background:
    My Internet browsing becomes unavailable while my system is checking for mail. It's only while checking mail & sounds like it's no biggie but it is so annoying. If I try to open my Browser during a mail check it just hangs so I have to shut it down & open it again when the mail check is done.

My question:
    There is a setting in my NIC card & it has two options,

1. Optimise for CPU.

2. Optimise for Throughput.

It is currently set to (Optimise for CPU) set this way automatically when installed.

What exactly is the meaning of these two settings & could it have any bearing on my problem?

:confused:

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Switch and see...

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Switch and see...

MC

I have already but it will take a while before I can be sure.

Any Info on the other part of the question?

What's the difference between the 2 settings?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I take it this is an onboard NIC?

For CPU: Minimises the CPU usage at the expence of Throughput and the other is the inverse.

MC

I take it this is an onboard NIC?

MC

Yes it is.

That was my take on it too but I wasn't fully sure.

It looks like it hasn't made any difference either way.

I just noticed that the MTU setting on my Router is set to Auto so I'll change that to 1490 - 1500 & see it that could have anything to do with it.

This is a new phenomenon as I've been using this setup for 2 years without any issue. I even flattened the machine in order to eliminate any third party updates or software but it made no difference.

Obviously something is causing the issue though :(

The quest continues :)

-

Strange one, whats the make and model?

MC

• Advertisement

Strange one, whats the make and model?

MC

The Mobo is a MSI P6N SLI Platinum.

The onboard NIC is a NVIDIA nForce.

-

Have you tried re-installing the nForce drivers? IIRC the nForce chipset can be troublesome

MC

Have you tried re-installing the nForce drivers? IIRC the nForce chipset can be troublesome

MC

I have for sure.

I might stick in a 3rd party PCI NIC card & disable the onboard just to see if it is in fact NIC related.

Computers are no fun when they work correctly, are they :D

-

Nope, currently debuging an old XP machine that has a lot of HDD problems etc, makes my life FUN! (! in the programming sense)

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 thebyrnie

Hi Gadget man

I am wondering during your trouble shooting when u reformated the pc did you install the nvidia drivers setup rather than finding the nic drivers in add and remove as there is quiet a few people having issues with the hardware firewall thats bundled with your chipset drivers.
    Especially if your security solution uses a driver on the nic (Avg, Bitdefender to name a few
    here is a link about the firewall (active armor)which is included in your mainboard driver bundle

http://www.nvidia.com/object/security.html

Its a long shot but try uninstalling you chipset drivers and reinstall with out the nic driver or Nvidia firewall and find the drivers for your nic and add the old fashioned way

• Advertisement

thebyrnie wrote: »
    Hi Gadget man

I am wondering during your trouble shooting when u reformated the pc did you install the nvidia drivers setup rather than finding the nic drivers in add and remove as there is quiet a few people having issues with the hardware firewall thats bundled with your chipset drivers.
    Especially if your security solution uses a driver on the nic (Avg, Bitdefender to name a few
    here is a link about the firewall (active armor)which is included in your mainboard driver bundle

http://www.nvidia.com/object/security.html

Its a long shot but try uninstalling you chipset drivers and reinstall with out the nic driver or Nvidia firewall and find the drivers for your nic and add the old fashioned way

Appreciate the reply Bernie,

the NIC drivers are the original ones supplied with the MOBO & have never been updated. I have been using the same NIC drivers since June '07 & have never had an issue with them until now (That's assuming that the NIC could be the issue, it might not even be).

One thing I can say with confidence now though is this, the issue really rears its ugly head when the system has been left idle for a period of time & you can be sure that when you return to the machine it takes 3 maybe four openings of the Browser before a successful homepage is opened.

The issue then seems to clear until mail is being processed & as soon as that happens Web access is denied until I open the Browser 3 or 4 times.

I think I'll have to buy a MAC :eek: :eek: :eek:

:confused:

-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 thebyrnie

Sorry dude its just that there is tons of posts about nvidia firewall and avg email scanner having loads of problems latley due to avg update so its not the driver date i was suggesting it is that avg updated and changed there email scanner and firewall driver in the last month or so check it out

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=avg+nvidia+firewall&meta=

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=nvidia+firewall+problem&meta=

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=nvidia+firewall+avg+email+&meta=

Thus a new nic would probley solve it but do you want it to get the better of ya

Advertisement